Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2004, 10:22 PM

Default Last position, low pair checked to me.

I guess my main question here regards my flop play, though comments on all streets welcome. I thought the limp was okay... I have been following the advise of people here who argue that AXs in mid position at a passive table is +EV, and so far this advise has been treating me well. SB is passive to the point of being pathelogical.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Greg is MP1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, Greg calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Greg checks.

If this flop has a heart I'm betting. But it didn't. So what do you think?

Turn: (2 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Greg raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

River: (8 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Greg bets</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 10 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10 BB, between SB and Greg.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Greg (10 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Js Jd (two pair, aces and jacks).
Greg shows 7h Ah (full house, aces full of sevens).
Outcome: Greg wins 10 BB. </font>
Old 07-11-2004, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Last position, low pair checked to me.

Hi Greg,

[ QUOTE ]
If this flop has a heart I'm betting. But it didn't. So what do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mandatory Flop bet. Everyone checked to you and you didn't raise pre-Flop; you'll frequently have the best hand here. The rest is fine.

-Brian
Old 07-11-2004, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone checked to you and you didn't raise pre-Flop;

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Brian. Am i misundertanding you, or are you recommending raising on preflop?
Old 07-11-2004, 11:04 PM

I definitely wouldn't raise pre-flop, but betting the flop seems fine - you have great position, and your ace 'outs' (assuming you don't already have the best hand) are most likely good, since I would think JQ would bet the flop.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:49 AM

What Brian said. Bet this flop. I usually keep betting hands like these, though I might check the river if I've been called with bottom pair the whole way.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:19 AM

Greg, he means that people tend to check to the preflop raiser.
Since you didnt do this it is more reason to believe your hand is the best.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:17 AM

Hi Greg,

Yes, sorry for the confusion. Generally, when everyone checks to you on the Flop, you're in last position, and you didn't raise pre-Flop, you should bet a high number of your hands, especially those which have a chance to be best at the moment, such as bottom pair or even Ace-high. Mason Malmuth once even gave this as a reason for not raising AQo pre-Flop after many limpers in late position. The idea was that by not raising, you are letting your opponents play with their hands "face-up", i.e. they'll bet when they have something, and check if they don't. If you raised pre-Flop, then they'll usually check to you regardless. I wouldn't recommend just limping with AQo on the Button after 4-5 limpers, but the whole "face-up" concept is good to be aware of.

-Brian