Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2004, 02:14 PM

Default My first \"big bet\" post. Is the turn play obvious here?

Hey guys. Just started playing the NL25 tables at Party recently. This hand is one that I want to see what others think about the correct play.

First orbit, so no real reads yet. But I'm not sure that matters all that much here.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed)

SB ($24.50)
BB ($38.76)
UTG ($37.50)
UTG+1 ($47.12)
UTG+2 ($30.95)
MP1 ($10.55)
MP2 ($14.69)
MP3 ($33.55)
Hero ($23.75)
Button ($20.15)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($4) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets $1</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $1, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, Button folds, SB calls $6, UTG+2 calls $5, MP3 calls $5.

Turn: ($28) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="green"> Hero does what?????????????? </font>

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:21 PM

Default Re: My first \"big bet\" post. Is the turn play obvious here?

All-in. It's less than the pot, you'll get at least one caller w/ a flush draw or a K.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:26 PM

Bet the pot.. You want to protect against the flush draw, and at this limit, drawing for a flush with a pair on board is pretty common. They might have a 9 with a weaker kicker in which case they'll go with the hand and pay you off. If they have a draw, though, you have to make them pay to continue.

Any other thoughts on this? Is there a possibility UTG+2 could have been playing 89s from up front there? You see all kinds of irrational stuff in these low limit NL games..
Old 07-12-2004, 02:28 PM

You only have about $16 left at this point. With 3 callers of your flop raise, it's obvious at least one is on a flush draw. Pushing all in here is the only choice to keep them from getting the correct odds to call. It's barely over a half pot bet. I'd assume with three people that you'll get at least one caller, and take home a pretty nice pot. On a side note, how do you get 3 people to call a pot sized raise on the flop? You need to teach me that [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2004, 02:37 PM

All in.
The possibility of someone playing KK is not feasable cause of pre-flop action.
K9s is a possibility giving someone the nuts, but then they would be betting heavily, 3 betting the flop or even calling any bet you would make here, so you shouldn´t take it into consideration right now.
Someone may have another 9, but another 9 with what? K, we discussed. A? You are tied. 9T or 89? what is your read on the table people limp with this?
You must go all in and be prepared to be called. Cause someone will do so. But I figure right now you are ahead and it is the only possibility.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:54 PM

Default OK, it was obvious - RESULTS

Thanks guys. I thought this was obvious. I did push and UTG+2 called me with J9. He spiked his J on the river.

I guess I was just checking to make sure since I'm so new to this game.

A few of you mentioned that a push on the turn isn't even a pot sized bet. With this in mind should I have bet more chips on the flop? I never expected to get 3 callers to that bet. My plan was to push on the turn when/if a blank fell with something close to the pot size (but the extra callers made it less than pot size).