Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2004, 01:42 PM

Default River decision

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

This is a hand that I thought I played correctly, wanted opinions. I have to bet this river, right? Based on the action up to this point?

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12.25 BB, between Hero and CO.</font>
Old 06-24-2004, 01:50 PM

Default Re: River decision

Hey submariner,
Do you have a read on the CO? If he is passive (which his play in this hand seems to indicate), I would check the river, hoping it is checked through. He could easily be holding a weak J here, and is afraid to raise, but would check behind.

-Jaran
Old 06-24-2004, 01:51 PM

Think I would check/fold on the flop. Not at all convinced my 10 is good if I hit it and middle pair/weak kicker is not something I want to play after a preflop raise with many opponents in. No backdoor flush either, only a 3-straight.

You could possibly check/call flop, but I realy don't like betting out. Then unless it was checked around on flop, I'd check/fold turn without hesitation.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:58 PM

Jaran, thats what I was wondering, is it one of those times when only a better hand will call. Dan,I think I'm ahead enough times to make it worth betting the flop, and usually someone with a J will let you know. But I'm working on improving my aggressiveness, and could have gone overboard. What does anyone else think?
Old 06-24-2004, 02:04 PM

Dan,I think I'm ahead enough times to make it worth betting the flop, and usually someone with a J will let you know.

With 4 opponents in and a raise preflop with 2 coldcallers I'd assume at least someone had a J or better or even a 9 with better kicker (Micro-limit players often play J-9 to A-9 to a raise without thinking preflop). I don't think you're ahead very often and I don't think you need to bet for information because you should already have it.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:28 PM

don't think you're ahead very often and I don't think you need to bet for information because you should already have it.

Where would he have gotten the information from?

I think I would have check/called the river.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:20 PM

T9s is a losing hand for me UTG at 1/2 tables and .5/1. I usually wait till there is 1 limper and I'm in early position or 2 limpers if I'm further back.

Anyone else think folding is correct here especially at typical 1/2 table? You got 5 callers with some cold calling so this table seems a bit loose.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:25 PM

I agree there are several possible hands that beat me here. I just would rather bet out, if I get raised, I fold, if not, then I keep pushing.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree there are several possible hands that beat me here. I just would rather bet out, if I get raised, I fold, if not, then I keep pushing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. You are fine to check/call this flop with a pair and backdoor straight draw. Planning to bet and fold to a raise is bad because he could easily raise you with just overcards.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:01 AM

Intresting hand. I would probably folded on the flop unless I knew this player had been showing &lt;second pair consistently. I think I probably bet this river, given his play I'm thinking he can't raise you (boards' ragged enough for two pair, he would have let you know if he had 2 pair on the turn) and you're probably willing to call a bet at this point, would depend on the player.