Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2004, 03:04 AM

Default Another Chaser Story

Hello.I was just playing in a TP $50+5 NL MTT tournament.Blinds are $15/$30.I'm new to the table so I have no reads on anyone.I'm in the LP with 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].I have about $1500 in chips so the extra $15 to call is nothing.5 people call.Flop comes 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].Yahtzee!!!.One person bets $15 causing everyone to fold.I raise to $65.To my surprise,he re-raises all in for about $955.Players at this site frequently go all-in with the ace or king of [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on a 3 flush board,so I'm very happy about this situation.I call the bet.To happiness,he turns over the K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for the flush draw.Turn comes the Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] giving him the nuts.Was there anyway to avoid this diabocle. <font color="green"> </font>
Old 07-08-2004, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Another Chaser Story

Fold that absolute crap hand preflop even if it's only 15 to call. That's exactly what can happen by playing hands like 8-3s. He may have made a bad move by pushing all-in with a K high flush draw and you may have been sucked out, but that is no excuse for your call preflop and your call post flop with an 8 kicker flush. I won't go as far as to say you deserved to lose this hand, but it was a horrible decesion to play it in the first place and then to call an all-in reraise when you certainly could have folded preflop or to the all-in with little damage to your stack.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:41 AM

Wow! I don't think I could dis-agree more with this.

Post flop, he has invested 15 chips and can win 1000. I just can't believe this is -EV. He will win this hand 71% of the time.

In the last MTT I played, I was SB with 22. UTG open min-raised and I completed. Flop was 2XX. He pushed his slow-played AA, and I was more than happy to call. He sucked out a runner/runner wheel straight and began to berate me for calling with a 22. I shot back that he shouldn't slow play AA. The point is simply this, weak hands like 38s or 22 will lose SMALL pots and win BIG ones. Just the opposite of AA.

gc
Old 07-08-2004, 12:28 PM

Ah yeah?

He invested just as many chips as the other player (around 1000 total) by calling the other players all-in. Yes he's a favorite post flop if the guy doesn't have a larger flush
in which case he's already drawing dead.

The EV of 8-3s from CO and HU is -0.16 preflop (horrible).
The odds of flopping a flush are 118 to 1 (horrible).
So why are we calling preflop? Because 8-3s wins huge pots and loses small ones? He lost a huge pot. I rest my case.

FOLD PREFLOP AND YOU NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THIS SITUATION! THE HAND IS JUNK. IT'S A MISTAKE TO PLAY IT.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:36 PM

GC,
83s is not nearly the hand 22 is. You will flop a set once in 7 times or so with the pckt pair. 83s just doesn't have enough favorable flops. It's a pretty easy fold unless stacks are much deeper.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:42 PM

Yeah, don't play crap like 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Old 07-08-2004, 12:57 PM

I think your education of this particular opponent was ill-advised. Don't you want him to keep playing AA the same way?
Old 07-08-2004, 03:57 PM

Thank you everyone for the hard-earned lesson y'all gave me.