Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Trouble Hand

Hi there. Just want to start out by saying I'm obviously new here. I've lurked on this site off and on in the past but have never posted. I've long been a member of another forum, but have found it to be not living up to my expectations recently. So I look forward to some constructive and intelligent conversation here.

Now on to the hand.

Situation: $10 MTT satellite tourny. Top 4 get seats, next 2 payout. We're down to 14 people and blinds are 300/600 with $50 antes. The blinds will be going up in the next hand or two.

I'm sitting utg +1 with a stack of about 3600. SB has about 2500 and BB has about 11k.

I have a fairly tight image, but BB hasn't been at the table long. I'm holding QJs. What do I do and why?
Old 09-10-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Trouble Hand

Push. You have an M of 3, 5 players to act, and an excellent hand. You don't day where yourank in the tournament, but it doesn't look like you can fold into a seat.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:22 PM

I agree with what betgo said and an additional consideration is that the BB with 11k could possibly fold into a seat, in which case the BB would be less likely to gamble with less than an ultra-premium hand. In satellite siuations in particular it is good to know relative chip stacks.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:56 PM

Ok thanks for that. Here is what I did.
I put in a raise of $1800. My reasoning here is that barring the SB, noone would be more likely to call my 3xbb raise than an all-in bet, so if I am met with resistance I can get away from the hand and live to see a few more hands.

Action: SB pushes all-in, BB re-raises putting me all-in.

I have $1800 chips left, what do you do?
Old 09-10-2005, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My reasoning here is that barring the SB, noone would be more likely to call my 3xbb raise than an all-in bet, so if I am met with resistance I can get away from the hand and live to see a few more hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

What good does seeing a few more hands do you when you have an M of just above 1? The pot to start is 1250. You'll have 1750 if you fold and post the next ante. If you don't open push there, after the blinds pass you'll be down to 750. You would have to double up repeatedly to stay alive, and you will have to stay alive, because you aren't close to a seat.

You can't fold this. You should have open pushed.

Now, your choices are:
1)Call and pray you're up against something like TT and AK, or you get super lucky.
2)Fold and push the next hand, no matter what it is, and pray you get lucky.

Since you're relying on faith and luck either way, I would call here because of the 4.5:1 pot odds.