Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Taking a stab into a big field

Pokerroom 1/2 10 handed

The table is weak tight. (Every table at pokerrom is weak tight. I'm not kidding.)

Hero has A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in LP

Three limpers to hero who limps button limps and BB checks.

5 players to the flop for 6.5SB's

Flop is K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Everybody checks

Turn is 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Four checks. Hero bets....

Thoughts???
Old 07-14-2005, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Taking a stab into a big field

too many people to bluff here. Someone will call, and that person will usually have you beat.

check it through.

against 2 or maybe 3 who love to fold, maybe, but not into 4 ppl.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:49 PM

if I were going to take a stab at the pot, I would do it on the flop instead while it is still cheap.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:38 AM

I think more people are inclined to peel on the flop and fold the turn. However, since the probability of picking up the pot goes down geometrically with the number of people in the pot, this is too many to bluff.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:47 AM

*grunching*

eh, I don't like it. at these limits you'll likely get called by anything that beats you.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
*grunching*

eh, I don't like it. at these limits you'll likely get called by anything that beats you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, that's what position is for. Plus, A3 is a good hand:

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. Hero wins 10.75 BB. </font>
Old 07-15-2005, 01:22 AM

Here was my thought process at the time....

On the flop there are two spades and too many players to successfully take a stab at this pot. Although nobody has shown any strength anywhere in the hand someone is very likely to peel getting 7:1. Betting is out of the question against even the weak tightest table on the planet. There's just no way I take this pot down 1 in 6 times here.

On the turn things change a lot. The two pairing the board is an interesting card from a bluff perspective. It seems reasonable that a player would not bet bottom pair on the flop but would certainly bet bottom trips on the turn. I now have a strong suspicion that nobody has anything, not even a draw. Three players have already checked and the button would've bet the flop if he had anything most likely.

Since the bet is now double sized players are getting worse odds to try to peel here. They might think I have trips, a pair or even a high. A stone cold bluff is unlikely against so many players. Even if they think there's a chance I'm bluffing they won't be inclined to call to the river with nothing for such a small pot.

I'm paying 1BB to win 3BB. This only has to work a little over 33% of the time to show a profit. I don't intend to put another penny in the pot unless I improve. A call usually means a pair or somebody trapping with the 2. Rarely will it be two big unpaired cards or a weakly played flush draw.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:38 AM

I make this same play from the blinds a lot of the time when the board pairs a small card. Nobody expects you to be bluffing into 3 or 4 players and since you're in the blind you could very easily have low cards.

I think a lot of people would be surprised how many hands you can win without a showdown from the blinds...even at the .50/1 level.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
*grunching*

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, that's what position is for. Plus, A3 is a good hand:

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. Hero wins 10.75 BB. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Why aren't you raising that flop?

And I don't see how this hand demonstrates anything related to OP...
Old 07-15-2005, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Why aren't you raising that flop?

And I don't see how this hand demonstrates anything related to OP...

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a joke to show the awesome power of A3s.