Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 04:47 PM

Default First trifecta... warranted?

Here are my notes on villain.

"raise Kxx flop into opfr, had KT. LIMP QQ on button, wait to turn to raise set. C/R OESD into LAG. FOLD TURN. OVERPLAY AGAINST ME."

So basically, he's a little tricky, he's aggressive, and he overplays against me.

Here's the hand.

I'm in the SB with 77. Folded around, I raise, BB 3bets, I call.

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, BB bets, I raise, BB 3bets, I call.

Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, BB bets, I raise, BB 3bets, I call.

River: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, BB bets, I raise, BB calls.

I realize he could have made some ghetto one card straight on the turn, but given his tendency to overplay, plus the temptation of the trifecta I had to do it.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: First trifecta... warranted?

had to do it. i love that image too much. this might be the only time ive ever agreed with a trifecta line, but i prefer a turn cap rather than a river checkraise in this spot even with your reads although i understand why you would strategically want to wait even tho i think its wrong.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:11 PM

Capping the turn and leading the river gets you 2 BBs if he calls you down.

Trifecta-ing the river gets you 2 BBs (you lose 1 BB on the turn, but you gain two on the river).

The only way you get more, in either case, is if he raises the river. However I dont think he can raise the river without the straight (or bigger set).

Bottom line, you win the same if you're ahead, but you lose more bets if you're behind. Plus, you may win less if you're ahead, if he checks the river behind you.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:29 PM

Old 11-15-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
although i understand why you would strategically want to wait even tho i think its wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

??? Why would he want to wait? Surely an overpair isn't folding to a turn cap and river bet.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:57 PM

he has a read that the opponent likes to fold on the turn and that he likes to overplay his hands against him. so what might be going through hero's mind at this point is that if he caps the turn the opponent might fold his overplayed hand where as if he checkraises the river he gains another bet with the possibility of getting paid off.

i still dont think thats enough reason to wait. also consider that the pot is big and that there is a 4 outter to a split pot. by capping the turn if the opponent folds you would be making him fold a 2 outter which you dont want happening but it certainly isnt the worst thing that could happen.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Capping the turn and leading the river gets you 2 BBs if he calls you down.

Trifecta-ing the river gets you 2 BBs (you lose 1 BB on the turn, but you gain two on the river).

The only way you get more, in either case, is if he raises the river. However I dont think he can raise the river without the straight (or bigger set).

Bottom line, you win the same if you're ahead, but you lose more bets if you're behind. Plus, you may win less if you're ahead, if he checks the river behind you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're totally right.

The thing about this guy, though, was that he wanted to outplay and own me... I was trying to rile him with the checkraises to induce insane action from a marginal hand. Ok, I'm just trying to justify a fancy play [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Each time I checkraised, he said to himself, "oh no he di'int!" and 3-bet.

On the river I guess he finally realized he was losing with second pair 8, ace kicker.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i still dont think thats enough reason to wait.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what pushed you over the line?
Old 11-18-2005, 12:11 AM

This thread is excellent in many regards