Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Laying down KK vs. a nit

Villain is 11/2/2. He has been extemely inactive this session. I put him on 99-QQ + AK based on his limp-call pre-flop.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

UTG+1 ($41.78)
UTG+2 ($33.90)
MP1 ($23.90)
Hero ($42.15)
MP3 ($11.55)
CO ($78.95)
Button ($22.75)
SB ($6.45)
BB ($14.50)
UTG ($30.60)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls $1.

Flop: ($2.85) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, UTG+2 calls $4.

Turn: ($16.85) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets $5</font>, Hero calls $5.

River: ($26.85) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets $15</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $41.85
Old 10-21-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Laying down KK vs. a nit

Looks ok to me. I might have raised the flop to $10 to try and discourage flush draws more.

Once the Jd came on the turn, it's too bad that villian only bet $5. I think you're way behind just about anything he'd limp/call your flop raise with. He may have already had a set, a straight draw got there with the J, a flush draw got there with the diamond, JJ just hit a set, etc. For only $5 on the turn, however, I can't see myself folding either. The bad part about the $5 call, however, is that if he has the nut flush, and you call the turn only to river a low diamond, are you going to stack off with a K-high flush? This is a dangerous situation.

At the river, folding to the $15 bet is probably best.

I'd like to say that folding to the turn $5 bet would be better against this villain because he clearly has SOMETHING better than KK, and drawing to the non-nut flush might be a disaster for you. That being said, I think I would have probably played this like you did anyway.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:42 PM

Raise more pre-flop. Raise more on the flop. Raise more on the turn. Fold to re-raise.

Get the picture? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks ok to me. I might have raised the flop to $10 to try and discourage flush draws more.

Once the Jd came on the turn, it's too bad that villian only bet $5. I think you're way behind just about anything he'd limp/call your flop raise with. He may have already had a set, a straight draw got there with the J, a flush draw got there with the diamond, JJ just hit a set, etc. For only $5 on the turn, however, I can't see myself folding either. The bad part about the $5 call, however, is that if he has the nut flush, and you call the turn only to river a low diamond, are you going to stack off with a K-high flush? This is a dangerous situation.

At the river, folding to the $15 bet is probably best.

I'd like to say that folding to the turn $5 bet would be better against this villain because he clearly has SOMETHING better than KK, and drawing to the non-nut flush might be a disaster for you. That being said, I think I would have probably played this like you did anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my diamond draw is 100% live on the turn. I think he folds AQd pre-flop, and if he doesn't, I think this opponent check/calls a big draw rather than potting it.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise more pre-flop. Raise more on the flop. Raise more on the turn. Fold to re-raise.

Get the picture? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pre-flop is standard. I raised 4xBB +1 BB for the limper.

You're probably right about the flop, but what's the reasoning behind it?

I think that turn advice is awful. Look at the stack sizes. If my turn raise wasn't a push, I'd be extremely comitted. I think I'm way behind here.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:23 PM

Just some basic advice but I think you need to make it a bit more pre-flop.

If you're calling villian a nit, yet you think he's going to full pot his flush draw into the PF raiser(??), then you need to make him pay for his draw and at least give him improper odds to call your raise.

As played, you need to raise turn to 15, you are still not entirely commited to this pot as barely 1/2 and you can fold to a push, but the $5 bet could mean he's scared of the diamond, or he wants you to come over the top. Yet if you're going to call $5 on the turn, then you better make up your mind to call a river bet then and there because when a brick falls, if you're just folding then you're chip spewing.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:44 PM

Heh, you misred something along the way. I'm calling that turn with what I think is a live diamond draw because I dont think he is capable of potting the flop on a draw.

When I called the turn I was pretty sure I was behind to a set of tens, but 4-1 + implied odds felt good enough at the time to draw to a king or non-board pairing diamond.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:28 PM

Your getting 2.8:1 on a river call here, I don't think I pass up those odds with on the river, given your read pre-flop you lose to 1 hand outta 4. Why not call?

Your flop raise is pratically min-raise, I see it as a rather post oak bluffish type move.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:35 PM

Against this player I can rule AK and 99 out on the flop for sure. TT and JJ beat me. The only hand I'm still ahead of is QQ, and I'm not sure a player this tight builds a pot this big with one pair against the aggression I showed pf and on the flop. I could be wrong though. I think he has a set more than 80% of the time here.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:41 PM

I don't think you can rule out 99 and QQ would raise pre-flop I hope. The fact that he's been inactive doesn't mean he woke up with a big hand, theres maybe a 8-10 percent chance he's playing his image.

I think you have odds to pay off river to catch a bluff, he played it so weak, I see a C/R on the turn from a set, pr even a flop 3 bet.