Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Funny PL hand (low content)

Just played this a couple minutes ago and gave a good shout after I'd dodged all their outs to rake in a monster.

Prima 25c/50c pot limit 7 card stud.

3rd st:
(stack is $45) Zara 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]/8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
($17)Pyramidion Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]/Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
($20)Lawty K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]/K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
($8) Player 1-- 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]/T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Someone brings in, I limp and get 3 limpers behind me. pot is about $1.50

4th st
Zara 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]/8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Pyramidion Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]/Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] j [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Lawty K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]/K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Player 1-- 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]/T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

So my hand is looking sexy, and what happens? My opponents switch to raving loony gambling maniac mode!

Lawty bets $1, Player 1 calls his $1 and I raise to $3. Surprisingly Pyramidion calls the $3 and it's back to Lawty. In what was either a moment of madness or a moment of genius, raises to $15, and then Player 1 calls all-in. I don't remember seeing Lawty do such a thing, but surely trip 4's are too good to fold? Well maybe not but i click all in anyway and Pyramidion calls it for $17 total, Lawty thinks a while, but only has $3 left and calls.

Pot stands at $73ish (146bb) and I've got alot of cards to dodge. They all rain down and the poor sods all end up with two pair.

Yippee.

Old 07-28-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Funny PL hand (low content)

You know how in PLO people bet the pot a lot, would that be a good strategy in PL Stud?
Old 07-28-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Funny PL hand (low content)

Good question. I don't think out draws are as common at Stud, so a pot bet isn't necessary in most cases. The best draw is an oesd+flush, giving 15 outs, but that's so uncommon it isn't worth being concerned about. Also, they'll be dead cards lying around, which will make the villians draws slightly less likely to come in.

So I think that against most drawing hands, 2/3 of the pot is a decent amount. But if you think your oppoent is on a heart flush and you've seen 2 hearts out and have another hidden then I think 1/2 pot would be better as he thinks he's getting good odds when he isn't.

Add to this the fact that most of the players I play against are reluctant to call pot bets without excellent draws or pairs+draws or have you badly beaten, then potting it will usually have you winning the pot immediately (which might be the best result) or losing more money when behind. 1/2 to 2/3 is usually enough to keep a couple people in when you want to milk them.

But if you've two or more players yet to act with something like
You: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]/Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villian 1: X X / T :diamond J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain 2: X X / 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain 3: X X / 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

You could be in a hole but you might be ahead, so here I would probably pot it, as the other players will give implied odds to each other, so I'd make it difficult for them. I want them to fold, but if I get a caller and he catches a blank, I might 2/3 pot again as I've a bit of money invested, kind of a continuation bet, and if he catched good, like a diamond/queen for villian 1 then I'll probably give it up (but there have been times I haven't) as he's was either drawing to the flush, or has you beaten with two pair or straight.

To summarise, 2/3 is a good amount in most cases imo. Ciaffone in his hand examples usually bets the pot, but he's against solid players who think about the implied odds they'll get (deep stacks I assume), while the PL players online usually don't call or have you beaten.

I've only 3 weeks of PL stud under my belt so if anyone wants to set me straight please do so.