Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Against Two Strong Hands

How's My Line? I raise turn for free showdown.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (17 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20 BB
Old 07-27-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Against Two Strong Hands

I raise the turn because you have the best hand, and then I raise the river.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:51 PM

Isn't it likely that I'm chopping with another AK since UTG+1 raised the turn? My raise on the river doesn't get much value from the pf capper.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:56 PM

UTG+1 could have AT, AJ, AQ, and maybe worse that you have crushed since you didn't supply a read. He only raised preflop and called a cap. He didn't 3bet or cap, so automatically giving him credit for AK is not reasonable.

The only PFcapping hand you're behind is AA, and there's only one combination that's available. SB might have AK and you chop, but if both of you have AK, I'm raising to extract more from UTG+1, who is very unlikely to hold AK if both of you have it, especially since there are plenty of other hands he could have (see above).
Old 07-27-2005, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise turn for free showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, lemme get this straight. You spent 2 bets on the turn so that you wouldnt have to spend 1 bet on the turn and 1 bet on the river? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1 could have AT, AJ, AQ, and maybe worse that you have crushed since you didn't supply a read. He only raised preflop and called a cap. He didn't 3bet or cap, so automatically giving him credit for AK is not reasonable.

The only PFcapping hand you're behind is AA, and there's only one combination that's available. SB might have AK and you chop, but if both of you have AK, I'm raising to extract more from UTG+1, who is very unlikely to hold AK if both of you have it, especially since there are plenty of other hands he could have (see above).

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only that, but you don't all have AK, even if one opponent does. Dead money is coming from somewhere. Go get it by raising.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:03 PM

The free showdown play makes no sense whatsoever here.
If you're going to 3-bet the turn you have to bet the river.
Personally I like a coldcall on the turn and a raise on the river here.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:04 PM

As long as both SB and UTG have reasonable raising standards, at worst you're splitting with another AK and it's very unlikely that AA is being played. I'd raise the river again with the likely best hand. If you're splitting, one of the other player's money is padding the pot.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:09 PM

I'm at least cold calling. So the one bet extra to 3-bet. Guess it doesn't work well as a 3-bet.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm at least cold calling. So the one bet extra to 3-bet. Guess it doesn't work well as a 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think you should raise. But the argument to raise for a free card is simply illogical, since you are spending the same ammount of money either way.