Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 06:42 PM

Default *sigh* gg Pats

Well, as you all know by now, my Steelers got beat by the Pats. It really sucks that I put out all that money and froze my butt off tailgating and at the game for 12 hours to see a loss. At least it's comforting to know Steelers at lest got beat by a better team.

Ben played horrible again. I would say he played like a rookie but that would be a disgrace to some rookies. He was outright horrible yesterday. I don't know if you could see it on TV but not only was he overthrowing people and thorwing bad picks, he wasn't spotting the wide open receivers all game.

Defense didn't play all that great but I thought for the most part the contained the Pats. The Steelers had no business being in that game but they kept it somewhat close til the end. I never really felt like the Steelers were out of it until the middle of the 4th quarter. The defense barely got any pressure on Brady though. He might not be a Dan Marino type QB, but he'll destroy you given time. Troy, a Pro-Bowl safety showed why he shouldn't be a Pro-Bowler. He bit bad on PA's and let receivers get deep too many times. Who cares if he's a good run stopper... that's not what a safety is for.

This wasn't a scheme game... it wasn't a coach that won or loss this game... the Pats out-physicalled the Steelers and they also out-executed them. You can't have 4 turnovers and expect to win. You can't drop a TD pass down 14 with 10 minutes to go in the game. You can't bite on PA and let the receivers cacth deep balls.

gg Pats and kick Philly's ass. My one roommate is from Philly and I can't stand to hear him talk about the Eagles anymore.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: *sigh* gg Pats

[ QUOTE ]

This wasn't a scheme game... it wasn't a coach that won or loss this game... the Pats out-physicalled the Steelers and they also out-executed them. You can't have 4 turnovers and expect to win. You can't drop a TD pass down 14 with 10 minutes to go in the game. You can't bite on PA and let the receivers cacth deep balls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cowher is the culprit. Bad offensive scheme. He was too stubborn in running on "running downs" leaving it up to a 3rd down pass.

Also, he didn't do R-burger any favors: Run more play action, and when you do ... it doesn't have to be for a 30 yd. gain. It is ok to just get 15.

Try more screens. Didn't see many of those.

When the game was essentially over, Cowher finally opened the offense up, and the Steelers started moving. They can pound ... but, they have good atheletes at WR.

Putting the qb in a better position to succeed may have changed that game.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:58 PM

You can't change what has been working for you all year in the AFC Championship. WOuld I have liked to see some screen plays? Sure... but they didn't do them all year so why start now?

The Steelers all year have been able to go into games and run the ball against 8 man fronts. NE just out-physicalled them yesterday and since the running game wasn't clicking well, the Steelers didn't have much of a chance the way Ben had been playing recently.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:59 PM

I know it wasn't the worst move in the world, but kicking that field goal there instead of punching it in, I felt was bad. They were on a roll yes, but I felt they couldn't afford to still be down by 2 scores with that little time left. You can have confidence in your defense, but you can't expect them to 3-and-out the freaking Patriots for the rest of the game. I also felt that the field goal was a failure for the steelers (from first and goal at the 5), and that not getting a must needed TD was a huge momentum swing.

Hindsight is 20/20... but I was saying it was dumb while they were kicking the field goal, so Im gonna repeat it now.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:05 PM

That was really the only call I was unhappy with. Personally, I thought 1st and goal at the 4, that was 4 cracks for Bettis. When the 2 runs didn't punch it in though and Plax dropped the pass, I sort of understood the idea. You had some momentum going your way and you wanted to come away with something.

It wouldn't have been what I would have done, but I can sort of understand the thought of kicking the FG.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't change what has been working for you all year in the AFC Championship. WOuld I have liked to see some screen plays? Sure... but they didn't do them all year so why start now?

The Steelers all year have been able to go into games and run the ball against 8 man fronts. NE just out-physicalled them yesterday and since the running game wasn't clicking well, the Steelers didn't have much of a chance the way Ben had been playing recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Under the circumstances, I thought they had to change it up. The Jets did a great job on R-burger and Cowher did him no favors. I was waiting all game for a screen, and boom, it came and Bettis got 19 yards.

Screen never came again.

I see your point, however, and I don't know how to explain why the Steelers could just run over teams in the regular season, but not in the playoffs. My guess is that it takes a lot out of you to get punched in the mouth every play.

In the regular season, you might just give in. In the playoffs, however, you are still going to be fired up. New England knew what the Steelers would do on offense and they used that to stomp them in the first half ... and I wasn't surprised based on what I saw in the Jets game.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cowher is the culprit. Bad offensive scheme. He was too stubborn in running on "running downs" leaving it up to a 3rd down pass.

[/ QUOTE ]

RoBurger was such a total disaster when he tried to pass that Cowher had no choice.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

RoBurger was such a total disaster when he tried to pass that Cowher had no choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. Remember the kid is a rookie ... try to ease him into the game and let him get a rhythm.

I agree, he was not throwing well at first and looked bad. However, I believe the game plan was too tight and gave him limited options to get on track.

Once the Steelers opened it up in the second half he was making good throws. Its easier to play with 100% of the field and 100% of your options.

I'm not saying R-burger played a good first half, because he didn't. But the coach did him no favors.

I wonder what would have happened if Belechik was coaching the Steelers.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:23 PM

Hats off to New England, best team in the league, by a long way. Best team I've seen this century. I think that means something, even though the century is only 5 years in.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:23 PM

The problem laid squarely on Ben. The Steelers would do it before because all Ben would have to do was play average and keep the other teams defense respectable to the passing game or the Steelers and Ben would make them pay with PA.

With Ben playing bad though, the Jets and Pats never thought of the Steelers passing game as a real factor. All they had to do then was stop the run and count on Ben making mistakes, which he did.

To cut Ben some slack though, he is hurt. His thumb is a serious problem and if it wasn't the playoffs, he probably wouldn't even be playing. His ribs are also still hurting him. His ribs caused him to alter his throwing motion not being able to put his whole body into the throws and use all arm. His throwing arm is reported by Steelers insiders to be very fatigued because of the change of mechanics. I think he has a bright future... the Steelers just aren't as healthy as people thought they were though.