Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 03:51 PM

Default AKs PF

$.10/.25 NL 6 handed live homegame.

Villan 1 is playing maniacal, and is usually pretty TAG-LAGish. Tonight he is playing insane, raising 4x PF/round. He will play ATC and will c-bet 80% of the time. His hand range is very very wide (I've since seen 92o,87o,K4s,KK,etc). He has $35 and I cover.

Villan 2 is a tightie from what I've seen. Not much action. I don't know his hand range from this point- I think AA-JJ, AK-AJs maybe. He has $20 and I cover.

Hero has AK [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the SB. Villan 1 opens for $1.25 in EP. Villan 2 raises to $2.5 in MP. Hero...?

I give no credit to villan 1. My plan was to re-raise his PF bet. When villan 2 woke up, I don't know where I'm at.

P.S.- what would your play be if Villan 2 was an unknown? How would you play it if you had no reads?
Old 10-20-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: AKs PF

Re-raise....
Old 10-20-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villan 2 is a tightie from what I've seen. I think AA-JJ, AK-AJs maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want to re-raise in this spot? I call the raise from villian 2 and see what villian 1 decides to do.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I call the raise from villian 2 and see what villian 1 decides to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villan 2 will call 100%. It's a mini-raise, and he gives no credit (stupidly) to the raiser.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:14 PM

3-bet, it's very likely that V2 noticed the same thing you have and is re-raising with a moderate hand like AJs or AQo or a mid pair, 3-betting allows a push from the maniac if he has something like 66 or 77 and knocks out V2 if he doesn't have much.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:30 PM

Meh. I muck.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:35 AM

Maybe this is just weak-tight, but I think I call and wait for the flop.

There is no reason to think you can fold either of these guys out with a raise; three-betting here will probably just further bloat the pot without concluding the hand, unless you put in a really serious raise. And with a serious raise against a big pair from Villain 2, you're less than 50% to win. Do you really want to see a push after you 3-bet?

Between 2 and 3 opponents is probably the line at which you're now playing AKs more for straight/flush possibilities than highcard value. Fortunately, you have the best possible straight and flush draws. So, at this point, I start looking at this as a draw hand and wait to see what the flop brings.

An alternative (and highly aggressive) viewpoint might be that 3-betting this as a draw hand is the way to go. Assuming you connect on the flop, the pot will be large, and since both your draws are to the probable nuts, you can then let villain 1 impale himself. This wouldn't be my approach, but I can see it working pretty well if you have a very LAGgy or borderline maniacal image at the table.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:42 AM

I think 3 betting PF would be suicide TBH. I say villan 2 calls/pushes 75% and folds the other 25%. Villan 1 will fold 98% to a 3-bet PF. He most likely has air.

Anyways, the action: I folded to villan 2's mini-raise (of $2.5). Folded around to villan 1 who called the raise. Flop came all unders, and villan 1 c/f-ed to villan 2's bet. Villan 2 had KK and MHING PF. Thanks all for responses.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet, it's very likely that V2 noticed the same thing you have and is re-raising with a moderate hand like AJs or AQo or a mid pair, 3-betting allows a push from the maniac if he has something like 66 or 77 and knocks out V2 if he doesn't have much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like this a lot more if their positions were reversed: tighty bets, maniac raises, you 3-bet to isolate maniac.

As the question is presented, it doesn't sound like tighty is going to go away, so a push from maniac just ends up putting you all-in against 2 opponents. I would rather see the flop before making that decision.