Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Paying off to take a look

I cannot put villian on a reasonable hand and because I have never seen this player (like I mean in millions of mined hands he's never turned up) I decide to call the river 3-bet, I think a total unknown like this theres actually a good enough chance i'm ahead because total unkowns are usually maniac LAGs (or annoying 2+2ers who change there names).

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.70 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.70 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 8c Ac (one pair, eights).
Button has 8h 7h (flush, ten high).

Ohh makes sense now aye [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Outcome: Button wins 12.70 BB. </font>
Old 07-11-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Paying off to take a look

I 3 bet the turn.

If he comes back at me w/ a cap, I check/call down. You were way ahead of him at that point, and basically anything but a slow played high PP or maybe a weany two pair (which you still basically have redraws against).
Old 07-11-2005, 12:13 AM

Just play the hand normally.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just play the hand normally.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

Krishan
Old 07-11-2005, 01:04 AM

which part are you guys referring to actually??
Old 07-11-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
which part are you guys referring to actually??

[/ QUOTE ]

The turn. I either 3-bet the flop or cr the turn.

Krishan
Old 07-11-2005, 02:30 AM

I like your avatar.

Fold the river.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:37 AM

You know I really think this board is ideal for waiting to the river to CR, because it is drawy and I will get a bluff from a missed draw alot on the river, because this player will put me on overs and try to squeeze me off, plus when he is betting a pair most players will find it very hard to lay down on the river HU, and I do have TPTK.

All in all I think how I played the hand is close to perfection, paying off the river is foolish but I don't think the most awful mistake i've ever made, and definitely imo the only glaring error in this hand. I don't discount that 3-betting the flop is a great play as well, however I think CC in these positions often have hands like Ax, KQ/J, QJ, etc and when no overs hit try these stupid bluffs postflop and push them to the bitter end when no broadway cards come along (that being said they also drop their hands immediately when 3-bet).

I'm going to keep bumping this until someone says nh.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All in all I think how I played the hand is close to perfection

[/ QUOTE ]

it an utter disaster if he checks behind on the turn and folds to a river bet - can you explain that bit to me ? - i'm happy to concede that he shouldnt be checking the turn and that most of the time he wont but certainly some of the time he will

assuming that he bets the river with a busted draw (which i agree he will do nearly all the time) i get the same bets in as if i had raised the turn - i suppose i gain when he is on a complete bluff by not raising the turn but i dont get why this is otherwise superior ? (he will probably call the turn raise and river bet with a crappy pair so i think that layout breaks even)

ultimately i dont think its likely i'm going to get too enthusiastic about a line that involves check raising the river and folding to a 3 bet

stripsqueez - chickenhawk