Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 05:05 AM

Default Help learning some odds

I'm tryin to use more odds while i'm playing but i'm still a little sketchy on how it works or if i'm even doin what i think i'm doin right. So he's a situation to illustrate my point. Was in a 10 person sng blinds 50/100. I had 1,050 chips. folded to me on the button w/ QT so I took my position and made it 300 to pick up some blinds. The small blind reraise all in for 460 more. So the pot was about 1,200 for about 400 more... so i'm getting 3:1 to call? Figuring the sb might push with anything thinking i'm on a steal i hopefully got 2 live cards and a 3:2 (or 2:3?) dog. Is this the right way to do this? and if so is a call justified? Thanks much for any help, and if i'm wrong here pleasse let me know, thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2005, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Help learning some odds

Why don't you try reading any poker book or Web site for a full discussion of pot odds, implied odds, etc.

In the situation you described, it sounds like you were still preflop, which means the concept of pot odds doesn't apply. Pot odds apply to situations where a drawing hand, such as an open ended straight draw, is up against a made hand, such as top pair with top kick.

Go study.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:44 AM

Actually, pot odds do come into play pre-flop. In fact this is discussed in The Ante Structure chapter in ToP. In addition, look at the tight preflop chart from SSH, you can clearly see that you play looser in SB and BB because you are getting great pot odds.

Sorry for the pedantic ToP quoting. Just read it, so it's fresh in my mind.

JunkHead
Old 06-21-2005, 12:20 PM

You're getting 1210 to 460 odds, so about 2.6 to 1. Those are quite enticing odds. You're that much off an underdog only to a higher pair, of if he has you dominated, so you should call this.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:24 PM

I should add that you are a 5 to 1 dog against a higher pair. Against two higher cards you're only a 5 to 3 dog. If he has pocket jacks you're a 5 to 2 dog. So a call is justified.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:00 PM

Very true, and no worries. I don't know if OP was asking about this concept or not. Somehow I doubt it.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:29 PM

An important point here is that SB has only 760 chips before he reraises. You don't give the average chip holding, but this sounds as if he's near to getting short-stacked.

In the same situation against the chip leader I'd be much more cautious.