Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 06:07 PM

Default TPGK- turn fold

UB 5/10

HEro is button with Kd Qh

MP2 is around 35/12/.75
MP3 is 30/7/1

Slightly tight passive game. I have decent table position, the field is a little towards the tight passive side, but the players to my right look good.

MP3 probably does not play as bad as his stats. But he is no world beater

PF: Folded to MP2 who calls, MP3 calls, HEro raises, Tight passive SB calls, MP2 call Mp3 calls

flop: (8.4SB) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, Fishy MP2 bets, MP3 raises, I call, SB folds, MP2 calls,

Turn (7BB): 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Mp2 checks, Mp3 bets, Hero folds

Thoughts:

I thought about three betting the flop, but decided to forego it. I feared already being behind, but that played a minor part in the decision.

I thought that any hand that the tight passive SB would call two bets with he would call 3.

I also thought if MP2 had any piece of the board he would also call 2.

I had MP3 placed pretty firmly on a draw and possibly paired.

I really did not feel I was behind at this point, as I would have been an easy target for a checkraise, that probably would have trapped the whole field.

I decided to forego a value raise and planned on raising any safe turn card.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: TPGK- turn fold

I don't know about the flop call. If you aren't drawing ~dead, then you're ahead equity-wise and facing draw type hands. I prefer to 3-bet immediately and push my edge than wait for a safe turn. This pot has become pretty big and I might be able to fold a hand like QJ/QT or even T9 from SB or MP2. In most situations I tend toward pushing the flop, so I may be biased. It is significant that you can't cut into the odds for a flush draw by raising MP3 on a safe turn.

But is it so absurd to simply fold the flop?
Old 08-06-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about the flop call. If you aren't drawing ~dead, then you're ahead equity-wise and facing draw type hands. I prefer to 3-bet immediately and push my edge than wait for a safe turn. This pot has become pretty big and I might be able to fold a hand like QJ/QT or even T9 from SB or MP2. In most situations I tend toward pushing the flop, so I may be biased. It is significant that you can't cut into the odds for a flush draw by raising MP3 on a safe turn.

But is it so absurd to simply fold the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about if for a while and decided that it really would not accomplish much. The fish was probably going to the river regardless.

I had visions of being able to get both of them to put in two bets on the turn, and would probably have a relatively easy decision on the river.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:03 PM

I also 3-bet the flop.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UB 5/10

HEro is button with Kd Qh

MP2 is around 35/12/.75
MP3 is 30/7/1

Slightly tight passive game. I have decent table position, the field is a little towards the tight passive side, but the players to my right look good.

MP3 probably does not play as bad as his stats. But he is no world beater

PF: Folded to MP2 who calls, MP3 calls, HEro raises, Tight passive SB calls, MP2 call Mp3 calls

flop: (8.4SB) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, Fishy MP2 bets, MP3 raises, I call, SB folds, MP2 calls,

Turn (7BB): 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Mp2 checks, Mp3 bets, Hero folds

Thoughts:

I thought about three betting the flop, but decided to forego it. I feared already being behind, but that played a minor part in the decision.

I thought that any hand that the tight passive SB would call two bets with he would call 3.

I also thought if MP2 had any piece of the board he would also call 2.

I had MP3 placed pretty firmly on a draw and possibly paired.

I really did not feel I was behind at this point, as I would have been an easy target for a checkraise, that probably would have trapped the whole field.

I decided to forego a value raise and planned on raising any safe turn card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how this is a fold on the turn? If you thought you had the best hand on the flop, despite the club, isn't there a good chance you still have the best hand?