Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Any tips to stop me loosing concentration?

Hi guys

Was playing last night and trying to be good. Being selective on opening hands and trying to learn to read the other players at the table (5c/10c NLHE). I'd spent about 2 hours grinding out some small wins to put me up by nearly $4 and then I just lost it. Missed a flop and then tried to bluff it, got called and continued the bluff all the way to the SD loosing the $4. I don't need advice on the hand, I should never have been playing it, what I need advice on is how to stop these moments of stupidity that are destroying my winnings.

Seconds after the hand I knew I should have thrown it away but whilst playing I just could not seem to admit that the bluff had failed. I had been playing very few hands so it was obvious that anyone wanting to stay in a large pot with me had a good hand. Is this lapse of concentration common for new players? I need to sort this out if I'm ever going to win consistently. Any help appreciated....
Old 09-01-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Any tips to stop me loosing concentration?

Every player loses their concentration at some point. The fact you recognized this (albeit too late in this case) is the first to addressing it. First, look at the length of your sessions. Are your lapses occurring at the end of a long session (maybe it's time to stop) or at the beginning (you are excited and eager for action). Being aware is the best prevention. When I get into a bad situation, I just remember that a new hand will start in about 10 seconds and I can begin to recoup what I foolishly gave away.

Good luck. I am sure someone has a method they use, I just just try to avoid distractions and stay focused.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:57 PM

It's good that you relize that this is a problem. When I start to feel like that it's best to just stand up walk around and get your focus back. If you can't get focused again it is best just to take a break(maybe for the day, maybe for an hour) and come back refreshed the next time.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:57 PM

This is somewhat dangerous for a new player so be warned, but it worked well for me - try playing two tables at once. With two games to focus on you'll have less time to get wrapped up on one particular failed play.

Of course you'll also have less time to focus on each of your opponents so be very mindful of that. I actually find that I play best when I 3-table. My decisions aren't as good when I add a 4th and I start to get bored and get Fancy Play Syndrome with only two.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:34 PM

Yes - you will find as you get good at holdem you are your own worst enemy. And the trouble can start when you lose some large pot after a sequence of wins. It can feel like you undid a lot of good work.

So don't be obsessed about whether you are up or down and especially not during a session. Just try to play better poker than everyone else and realise its perfectly normal to be unlucky.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:44 PM

I have tried playing two tables but my problem with that is I'm just playing the odds and the maths. As a new player I'm really trying to start getting some reads on my opponents and I struggle to do that on one table and impossible on two tables.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:46 PM

Unlucky is fine. i've I've played correctly and got unlucky then so be it. In the example I had last night I wasn't unlucky I was just playing really badly because I wasn't really thinking about tha game.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have tried playing two tables but my problem with that is I'm just playing the odds and the maths. As a new player I'm really trying to start getting some reads on my opponents and I struggle to do that on one table and impossible on two tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's good that you recognize that. If you feel like two tables is too much for you right now then stick to one table. Especially if you don't think you'd be improving while you played. You can try two tables again when the game becomes more second nature and you start getting deja vu on nearly every hand.

So I'll change my recommendation to instead try to either a) analyze how you played the last hand - did you make the maximum you could have or lose the least you could have with the information you had? This will help you avoid making stupid plays because your next analysis will be very embarrassing. Or b) if you weren't in the hand then analyze how one of the other players played it - did he miss a bet, raise out potential callers with his flush draw, etc. Analyzing the game more closely will help you focus on correct play. As another poster said, don't worry about if you won the hand - only worry about if you played the hand the best you could have. Luck will wash itself out eventually.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:35 AM

You can get tired waiting for good starting hands to come along so perhaps you need to have something else to keep you occupied during the wait (so that it doesn't seem like such a wait and you aren't tempted to play weak hands to relieve the boredom). Surf the web or play a non-cash game in another window is what I do
Old 09-02-2005, 12:01 PM

[quote
So I'll change my recommendation to instead try to either a) analyze how you played the last hand - did you make the maximum you could have or lose the least you could have with the information you had? This will help you avoid making stupid plays because your next analysis will be very embarrassing. Or b) if you weren't in the hand then analyze how one of the other players played it - did he miss a bet, raise out potential callers with his flush draw, etc. Analyzing the game more closely will help you focus on correct play. As another poster said, don't worry about if you won the hand - only worry about if you played the hand the best you could have. Luck will wash itself out eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this when I was playing one table. It really helps keep you attentive and it gives you something to do while waiting for good starting hands. If I wasn't doing this I would be reading SSHE to keep my mind occupied.