Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 10:07 PM

Default 300bb for bankroll, how much typical buyin?

Whats up guys, I know this is a noob question but I have learned that one of my biggest leaks is losing a session and going back for more and continue on on my losing days. How much should one buy in with per session at a 1/2 game?

Can anyone give me some bankroll management tips? BTW I reread the FAQ this wasnt there [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Re: 300bb for bankroll, how much typical buyin?

Typically 25BB. The most you can win (or lose) in one hand is 12BB, so 25BB ensures that you can put the most amount of money in in one hand, and should you lose you'll have enough left over to put in the maximum for a given hand (before needing to rebuy anyways0
Old 06-14-2005, 10:14 PM

whatever you want really. i buy in for 25 bb usually, and i will gladly rebuy if i'm at a good table. you should, too, unless of course, you feel like the fact that you're losing money is getting to your poker play. this could very well be the fact, in which case you should take a break or do whatever you need to do (move tables) to calm down.

if you feel like you can still play good poker and you're in a seat to the left of a 90/20 and you have to rebuy due to some bad beats... do it. just be ready for the ride.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:20 PM

Only stop playing if:

1. You have to go.
2. The tables are breaking up/unprofitable (too tight, too much PFR, etc).
3. You are starting to tilt.

Never stop based on how much you are winning/losing in a given session. I typically buyin about 20BBs per table (25 at party because it's default), and never hesitate to rebuy.

Bankroll management: Usually move up a level when you have about 300BBs at the new level you're playing at (if you feel comfortable). 100BB downswings are normal, but if you drop to 150BB or so, you might consider moving back down.

Good luck at the tables.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:31 PM

Am I the only one who buys in for 50BBs at a table? I've always liked sitting deep, mainly so I almost never have to bother rebuying at a table (and even then it's happened sometimes... yikes).

If watching your winnings/losses put you on tilt too much, grab a copy of TiltBlocker 2000. As pathetic as it sounds, it helps me -- now I don't see a constant reminder of just how often some fish keeps spiking two outers against me.

-K
Old 06-14-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who buys in for 50BBs at a table? I've always liked sitting deep, mainly so I almost never have to bother rebuying at a table (and even then it's happened sometimes... yikes).

If watching your winnings/losses put you on tilt too much, grab a copy of TiltBlocker 2000. As pathetic as it sounds, it helps me -- now I don't see a constant reminder of just how often some fish keeps spiking two outers against me.

-K

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem sitting deep. I just don't do it because I might not have enough money at the site to sit down at 3/4 tables with that much.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:42 PM

Tiltblocker is a bad idea, Kumabou.

What happens if you flop a flush or something, and only have 1 BB left in your stack?
Old 06-14-2005, 10:45 PM

The +EV I get from tilt blocker far outweighs the -EV scenario you just described.

1. Buy in for more than normal when using tilt blocker (50 BB as opposed to 25).

2. If you know you have taken a few bad hits rebuy.

Using tiltblocker over several thousands hands I've only found myself all in once and it came on my river bet.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:47 PM

You thank the lord as you watch some LAG hit top boat versus your second nut boat, so you lose 1 more BB instead of 10 [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] (I've actually had this happen, except it was the other player who was all-in when he capped pre-flop).

Really, the instances where I have blown through 38 BB or more are few and far between, and it takes a while (or a rampant amount of LAGtastic sucking out). If you are really paranoid about such things... rebuy in the dark! Heh, nothing looks goofier than being up 50 BBs at a table and buying in for another 25. I think the mental stability it provides far outweights the unlikely chance of pissing away a few bets.

(Why do you keep spelling my name wrong, anyway?!)

-K
Old 06-14-2005, 10:51 PM

All great answers and tiltblocker is a nifty idea maybe now i can focus on making the correct plays instead of watching my money. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]