Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Where should a stud novice play?

The search function is a wonderful thing, I know, but I'm going to ask my question anyway.

I'm a Hold 'em player, and I'm okay at that and mostly play 3/6. But I'm looking for a little variety, and, at the same time, I don't want to play stud at the same stakes, where the money seems real to me.

I've read 7CSFAP, but I'm not good (so far, anyway) at keeping track of exposed and then folded cards (I've been practicing on Wilson's software, flawed though it is), and I also have to stop and think about the odds when it's not exactly 47 or 46 unknown cards that can improve my hand. (Actually, I have to stop and think about just how many unknown cards there are.)

Where I play now is Party, but I don't like the ante structure of Party's 0.5/1 stud game at all. Should it bother me as much as it does?

I know Pokerstars offers a smaller ante structure. Should I sign up there? Is Pokerstars structure too small?

You know, I'm not even sure what I'm asking. I guess my question is: Where should someone who's interested in stud but wants to learn at the micro-limits start? And what are some things that I should keep in mind? (Quite possibly there are things I should keep in mind that I didn't ask about, and, if so, what are those things?)
Old 03-16-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Where should a stud novice play?

.50/1 stud party with the .25c ante is stupid, the 1/2 is marginally better. try paradise for .50/1- no ante, .25c bring in. for 1/2, pokerroom is good, .10c ante (just about right, imo) but there's no hi-lo.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:36 AM

The Prima Sites are really nice for stud. Soft play at the .5/1 level and the ante there is .05 which isnt too harsh but it does help to build the pot. I recommend www.royalvegaspoker.com since its the Prima Site I am familiar with.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been practicing on Wilson's software, flawed though it is

[/ QUOTE ]

Flawed is being generous. I bought that about sixth months ago for whatever it was, $89 or so. The elite computer program the "Rosetta stone" that you can play on it against is a joke. I mainly purchased it to see if I could beat this supposedly expert stud computer program. The programs truly terrible. It ALMOST plays as bad as beermoney [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. I just wanted to make sure nobody else buys this. As for your question about where to start out playing stud, anywhere besides low limit on party. But of course you already knew that. Anywhere that has a reasonably tight ante structure would suit you best to begin with.

Mike Emery
Old 03-16-2005, 10:46 AM

I just put some money in paradise mainly to bonus whore a bit and have found the .50/1 no ante game to be good so far. It is overly tight compared to any other site ive been on, but i think it would be good for building discipline to only play low pairs when you have a high kicker, only playing live hands, etc. Another option if your bankroll can handle 1/2 is to play at interpoker because you can get $90/month free so even if you arent playing well at the beginning that money would hedge your bets.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:40 PM

And the players at 1/2 and 2/4 on Interpoker are really bad.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And the players at 1/2 and 2/4 on Interpoker are really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... ummm. Stay away from Interpoker and skins. Really... it's... uhhh. just not worth it. Yeah. Not worth it.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:19 AM

Could you extend your comments?
Thanks
Old 03-16-2005, 12:57 PM

DocAZ liked this software as a tool for improving your card memorization skills. I've never played the stud version, but I did try the stud/8 version at Canterbury's grand opening in June 2000. I limped in with A87 (forget which was my door card--maybe the Ace?) and the software said I should raise. The guy giving the demo said there was no hope for me if I couldn't raise with that hand....If I recall correctly, I won $250 playing $2/4 stud that night.

As to the original inquiry, the $.50/1.00 games I'm aware of are out-of-whack as far as the ante structure is concerned. Party's is way too high, Stars' is too low, and Paradise has no ante. The structure for Party's $1/2 game makes more sense, and I hear that's where the loosest players are, so that would be my suggestion.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:10 PM

why is the software(the computer stud player) so bad?