Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 09:52 AM

Default 30-60...2 hands from Bellagio this weekend

Uncountable hands and enedless hours of poker bliss....

Two hands still resonating and playing over and over again in my mind.

First hand

UTG+1 limps, folds around to Tex, on the button, Tex limps with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] SB completes, BB checks option. 4 to the flop.

flop 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB is weak and basically really bad...(had raised numerous times UTG with any A, or any PP, or any two cards, i think.)
and SB leads....BB folds, UTG calls with hesitation. I raise on the button. SB calls fast...real fast...UTG calls.

Flop comes 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, UTG checks, I bet, and both call.

River comes 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets, UTG calls, I raise.

results in white below

<font color="white"> </font> SB shows 10,6 for two pairs, tens and sixes. UTG shows K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]for a straight, and I show 9,10 for a straight. We chop the SB's bets.

<font color="black"> </font>
Hand number 2...If the last one was boring...this one's a little more exciting...

UTG raises, UTG+1 calls, I call with 99, and the BB calls.

Four to the flop.

Flop comes 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG leads, UTG+1 raises, I three bet, UTG four bets, UTG+1 folds, I cap.

Turn 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG leads, I raise....UTG just calls this time. (so much for getting in unlimited bets heads up)

River is a total blank, like the proverbial black deuce or something, all i could see were the two nines on the board, regardless, UTG checks to me, I bet, and UTG calls.

Now...any thoughts as to what UTG showed down?

result in white
<font color="white"> </font>
UTG shows j [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

He open raised with it, flopped the nuts with a straight flush re-draw, and i thought i had him drawing dead on the turn....almost....

<font color="black"> </font>
If only CardSharp could have been there....&lt;sigh&gt;
Old 09-19-2005, 09:53 AM

Default Re: 30-60...2 hands from Bellagio this weekend

i dont think the white font worked...
Old 09-19-2005, 10:13 AM

hand 1:

i dont see what the problem is here? did the SB call your raise on the river? so you each got 1bb? thats what i assumed happened. nothing is really wrong with that hand.

an argument can be made for going for an overcall w/ the flush on board but i think a raise is fine if the sb is real bad.

hand 2:

slow down on the flop. call his 4 bet. then raise the turn. if he goes 5 bets HU its pretty likely he flopped a straight. people love raising w/ suited cards. middle suited cards. those hit that board pretty hard. also note that if you plan on raising ANY turn or check behind going 5 bets is best b/c you can check if you're SURE you're behind (villian never goes more than 3 bets on any street w/o nuts). either way, you have such a strong hand and so much equity that 4or 5 bets on the flop is a small drop in the bucket. raising the turn is a no brainer, as is the river.

so why did you post these hands?

Barron
Old 09-19-2005, 10:39 AM

I would probably raise preflop with the first hand and would definitely reraise preflop with the second hand and only one coldcaller. Other than that, what's there to discuss?

Jeff
Old 09-19-2005, 12:15 PM

I started wondering if the way i played the first hand was optimal. I raised the flop thinking that i might have the best hand, in a seemingly harmless flop. And, if i dont like the turn, i can check and see the river for free most of the time. But after I raised the flop, it occured to me that with a very weak SB, who was leading with anything, I should have raised the turn instead of the flop. I think i would have had a better chance to get UTG to fold when the board comes an 8, even though this does give her an open ended straight draw. I'm wondering which would have been more correct, and also, is it an auto-raise on the river, despite the possible flush?

In the second hand, I figured that I should have just called the raise from UTG+1, and hoped that UTG 3-bet, which he should have. I guess my question is this; on the flop, am i better off getting middle set heads up with the preflop raiser when the flop poses lots of flush and straight draws? i personally like being able to get 5 small bets in on the flop, because when the board pairs on the turn, I doubt that UTG will three bet my raise for fear of a full house. In a perfect world, how would this hand have been played for maximum equity assuming you didn't know the board was going to pair nines on the first pitch?
Old 09-19-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and i thought i had him drawing dead on the turn....almost....

[/ QUOTE ]

do you realize you had his 1 out? he was drawing dead.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I started wondering if the way i played the first hand was optimal. I raised the flop thinking that i might have the best hand, in a seemingly harmless flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a little low content note: the flop in the first hand is def. not harmless..