Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 04:42 AM

Default AJo -- a turn decision

UTG+1 hasn't played many of his 22 hands (VP$IP 18) but has limped with A6s UTG and then raised his flush draw on the flop heads-up against the big blind (after which he took the free card on the turn) and also open-raised with K8s UTG and fired all the way against his single cold-calling opponent with an unimproved gutshot.

MP3 is sLA-A after 99 hands and has shown down quality starting cards except when playing from the blinds.

During his 19 hands, CO is VP$IP 39 and did once coldcall a preflop raise from the SB with A4o. Otherwise, though, his known hands are AQs, AQ, and KQs.

Button is LA-A after 30 hands and has a BB/100 of 44.17 for that period and also seems to be an ace-rag player.

(And my reads were in fact a little more vague at the time, but I have since looked this stuff up for your benefit. In any event, though, it did not seem like a passive table.)

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, CO folds, Button calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks . . .

Okay, my action. What's my turn plan?

(Feel free to comment on the flop play as well.)
Old 12-21-2004, 04:45 AM

Default Re: AJo -- a turn decision

What's my turn plan?

Pray MP3 bets.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 12-21-2004, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pray MP3 bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes. Yeah, going for a checkraise and trying to trap the field with my monster hand backed with a monster draw sounds much better than what I actually did.

Instead, for some reason I worried that the scare card would slow down the action or that, if I did get to checkraise, I'd be checkraising the one person who had a made flush, who would then 3-bet.

So I decided to represent that I was bluffing the flush.

Anyway, here's the hand in its entirety, which I suspect I misplayed badly beginning at the turn:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, CO folds, Button calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Button folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Once the action got back to me, I considered 3-betting, but I decided against it, since apparently MP3 wasn't scared by the hearts or the straight potential (and, so far anyway, I only had the straight).

River: (11.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

I didn't care much for the river card and wasn't really sure what to do. After I checked, MP3 paused for awhile and then bet.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

So . . . how much more should I have won or lost or chopped?
Old 12-21-2004, 06:46 AM

You won 13.75bb, yes?
Old 12-21-2004, 06:50 AM

You hit your stright and have a draw to a Royal! Check, MP3 is aggressive so he will bet and then someone probably will call. When you raise they call again.

You are probably already ahead. And if not, then you have a nice draw!