Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 07:22 AM

Default Just hold me (downswing post, I\'ll try for some content)

547 hands, -$943. About 500 on 5/10, pretty close to even split between full ring & 6max. That's my night. That also keeps me firmly wedged into a 3-month long breakeven streak, at least money wise (it was started by a big downswing at 10/20, and I've since been playing lower limits). I'm actually being a bit generous in calling it "breakeven". I say "breakeven" because I have a very slight positive BB/100 over the period (25k hands), even though I'm still down money.

It's getting taxing, I'll admit. The month had been going well until the past 12 hours, when the month got erased and then a lot. I should have known it when, up about 10 BBs 50 hands or so into my session, I hit top set with KK on a 3-heart flop. I wound up losing the hand to a donkey who called 3 bets preflop with Th5h, and then slowplayed it to the river. It didn't stop there.

I poured over my stats for the night looking for some indication that maybe it was my play that was suffering. I found none. I was a little bit on the passive side postflop, but nothing too far out of the ordinary. I credit a decent amount of that with the slew of flopped 4-flushes & OESDs that didn't come in. I went to showdown 34% of the time. I won at showdown 38% of the time. By my count, and keep in mind my eyes are tired, I lost to 12 runner runners. The funny part is that 4 of them didn't even bet the river. Two of those check/called it. Brilliance.

I won money when I saw the flop 28% of the time. This is with a VPIP of 27.61% (keep in mind that half the hands were 6max, and another 75 or so were on a very short-handed full table). I PFR'd 14.44% of the time. A few of them were loose raises, I'll admit. Very few.

I made great reads, too. I folded TPTK on the turn on a KQ75 two-suited board. The player who raised my turn bet had Q5s. I folded two overpairs. I was right on both ocassions. I made some crying calls, too, and a few turned out not to be crying calls (had a guy LRR me and then raise an A-high flop....with 74o. Unimproved. I check/called the river with my AJ. It was still unimproved then.). I folded top pair on the turn on a 2-suited, 2-straight board for 1 bet. I had the best hand at the time. But the guy calling down with a naked ace spiked it on the river anyway. He wasn't folding it if I'd raised the turn. He hadn't yet tonight.

I 3-bet with AQs from the SB, led a TT8 flop and got two callers, led again when my Q came on the turn and got one caller. The river was a 9. He flat-called with 99. He said that was because he thought I had QQ. I figured that was an even better reason to call the turn bet.

My biggest losers for the night? KJo, which won 1 of 10 times for me (I folded it preflop twice). KQo. AQs. TT. AKs. KJs. And of course, KK. I lost money with high card, one pair, two pair, straight, and flush hands. I hit one straight flush. I did manage to win that hand. And a donk raised me on the river & called my 3-bet. With no pair.

I promised some content in this thread, or at least something close to it. If you've read this far, you deserve at least that. So here goes...

This is normal. You've all been through this. 550 hands is nothing. I'll win the money back over the next...well, eventually. So will you, if you're playing correctly. Variance is a bitch. I made about a gazillion Sklansky bucks tonight....that doesn't refill my bankroll, but it does at least give me the satisfaction of knowing that I played correctly tonight, at least most of the time.

I'm tying this out not only because I needed to vent, but also in the hopes that some of you going through crap like this will be reminded that it's not just you. And it's not the end of the world.

And hey--if nothing else, I found 7 new buddies tonight. I'd say they're worth $120 apiece. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2005, 07:30 AM

Default Re: Just hold me (downswing post, I\'ll try for some content)

I'd like it if you can post the TPTK hand vs. Q5s. Dig it out, put it up!
Old 08-19-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like it if you can post the TPTK hand vs. Q5s. Dig it out, put it up!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going from memory & so tired I couldn't see straight; I actually check/folded the river. So y'all mad at me for folding the turn with 8 outs can relax: [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 12.50 BB, between BB and UTG.</font> &gt; <font color="#FFFFFF">Pot won by BB (12.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 5d Qd (two pair, queens and fives).
UTG has 5c 7d (one pair, fives).
Outcome: BB wins 12.50 BB. </font>
Old 08-19-2005, 02:09 PM

I like that UTG called with 5s and you dumped Ks. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-d
Old 08-19-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like that UTG called with 5s and you dumped Ks. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG never folded a pair. The problem was that he kept rivering 5-outers against me (and only me). [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG never folded a pair. The problem was that he kept rivering 5-outers against me (and only me). [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played against him and his 300 closest friends this month. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-d
Old 08-19-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if its any help i felt the EXACT same way yesterday, came home from work, i was down 50 bets in like 10 minutes and it just kept going...5 outer...5outer...5outer...finally, after being down 60 bets at one point i was right back up to even, and im sure you will be soon too. gl.

rj
Old 08-19-2005, 07:33 AM

Better luck next time [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2005, 09:52 AM

During my 540BB downswing a month ago I Lost 6/7 nights, (3) of those nights were -1000.

A month later I am almost fully recovered.

It will pass.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I made great reads, too. I folded TPTK on the turn on a KQ75 two-suited board. The player who raised my turn bet had Q5s.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does not seem like folding to a raise on the turn with 8 outs is a great read.

jvs