Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2003, 09:42 PM

Default Preflop pot odds

I am trying to use correct pot/implied odds when determining whether or not to see the flop and I having a trouble determining what the correct apprx odds to use are.

For example I know that flopping a set with a PP is about 1:7. Does this mean that I need 7 bets before I see the flop with small PP or only that I want a implied pot odds of 1:7 meaning I want atleast 7 other bets in the pot by showdown.

Also what type of pot odds should I be looking for with a hand like A9s. I know I am looking for the flush but what about the odds of two pair or trips or the small possibility that the ace pairs and the kicker is good.

I have the same problem with the suited connnectors.

I know not to play these hands in early position and that I want a lot of callers, my problem arises from middle or late position with determining exactly how many callers I need in front of me and how many positions off the button I can be and still see the flop.

Right now I am erroring on the side of caution and very rarely playing these hands but I think I may be giving some EV with this approach.

Thanks in advance from your friendly neighborhood..oh wait wrong identity.