Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Value Bet 30/60 Party

Folded to me in SB, I raise with A7 suited. BB Calls. He is new to the game so i dont have much info, though he seems solid.

Flop 7,3,4 suits unimportant. I bet he calls.

Turn: 5. I bet, he calls.

River: 8. Bet for value on the end.

My friend and I (who plays 100-200 live but rarely online) have a huge disagreement on this one.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Value Bet 30/60 Party

Standard.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:57 PM

Personally, I am usually only betting this river if I can fold to a raise. If this condition is not met, I would consider checking. Everything else seems fine to me.

- Jags
Old 03-25-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I am usually only betting this river if I can fold to a raise. If this condition is not met, I would consider checking. Everything else seems fine to me.

- Jags

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure this wasn't the case here as hero had no reads I'll sometimes bet the river in similar less clear-cut spots to induce a bluff raise from certain opponents in this game.

I think he gets called by any pair and possibly even A-high here btw.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure this wasn't the case here as hero had no reads I'll sometimes bet the river in similar less clear-cut spots to induce a bluff raise from certain opponents in this game.

I think he gets called by any pair and possibly even A-high here btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, now you've got me thinking. And let me warn you, that doesn't happen very often.

For some reason my default play in this situation against an unknown is to check and call a bet. I guess we need to weigh the fact that he may bluff or bet A high when he would have folded for a bet versus him calling you with hands he would not have bet if checked to. The more I think about it, the more I am leaning toward checking.

Maybe I'm just stubborn.

- Jags
Old 03-25-2005, 06:36 PM

The problem here is that villain will usually call with more hands than he'll bet. This isn't a good spot for him to be making thin value bets, and as far as bluffing goes, given that he called on the flop and the turn, I highly doubt he has a hand that has no showdown value.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem here is that villain will usually call with more hands than he'll bet. This isn't a good spot for him to be making thin value bets, and as far as bluffing goes, given that he called on the flop and the turn, I highly doubt he has a hand that has no showdown value.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'm converted. Standard river bet.

Damn I'm easy.

- Jags
Old 03-26-2005, 06:18 AM

Default arguing about what

looks fine, i think river can go either way
Old 03-26-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: arguing about what

thanks for the responses guys. Here are my thoughts.

Based on my plays, the vilians knows that I don't need to have anything. The most likely hair to put me on is 2 big cards with ace high. followed by a medium pair like 99 or 88. Knowing this, he would have to assume that I might be betting ace-high all the way. If he had a hand like Q4, calling all the way down is probably the right strategy.

Also knowing this, he would have to raise the turn with a six since he knows I would not likely bet Ace-high on the river. With this, I assume he doesn't have a six. Now that we have put him on a small pair, how do you make sure you get paid on the river. If you check, can you induce a bet from a small pair. Maybe, but i know lots of players who would check a small pair here.

By betting, I might be able to induce a bluff raise. (even if he spiked an 8, I doubt he raises) and probably will get called down by a small pair.