Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 06:15 AM

Default AKo - the best line is.....

Party $15/$30

Villain is 17/6. I only have 35 hands but so far the AF is low.

I have A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in SB

CO limps first in; button folds. I raise; BB folds; CO calls

FLOP

T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Bet/Call

TURN

K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Bet - Raise - I should?

I am often unsure in this situation. A reraise is best if villain has a worse King or a hand with which he is hoping for a free showdown. If he has me beat then I save 2BB by going passive (unless I am prepared to fold to the cap). If he is bluffing then I win the pot since he will fold, but lose the chance of the extra bet from the river bluff.

I am new to $15/$30 full and do not yet have the pace of then games.

At $10/$20 (6 max) this is almst certainly a reraise without a read.

What should it be at $15/$30?

Thanks all

Trevor
Old 07-25-2005, 06:19 AM

Default Re: AKo - the best line is.....

With no other reads, I would most likely just call and check/call the river. Passive limpers who wake up on the turn will usually have AK beat.

Meow.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:28 AM

call turn.
bet river.
whether you call a river raise is up to you, i dont know this guy.
EDIT* i thought this was 30/60... i dont know how the 15 plays since they expanded the 30, but calling down may be better.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:01 AM

Is folding the turn a possibility? If villain is passive enough, it seems he has to have better than AK. Assuming he has at least 2 pair, what pot odds do we need to continue? How many outs with this board and opponent?
Old 07-25-2005, 10:48 AM

i call-down here. no re-raise, unless you're 100% comfortable folding to cap.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is folding the turn a possibility? If villain is passive enough, it seems he has to have better than AK. Assuming he has at least 2 pair, what pot odds do we need to continue? How many outs with this board and opponent?

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding cannot be considered - you have to see a showdown here. What 2 pair could he have? KT, maybe, I suppose, if he is in fact ultra-passive, which we cannot know from stats after just 35 hands. If so, you have 3 outs and nowhere near the odds to call. Best case if you're behind is if he has 65 (hard to imagine); you have 8 outs, and the odds to call. If he has a set, you're drawing dead.

He could just as easily be making a semi-bluff raise with QJ.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call turn.
bet river.

[/ QUOTE ]

An interesting line:-

foils a free showdown play;
loses 1 bet less IF I call a river raise and am behind;
if I am raised on the river I am probably MORE likely to be behind than being capped on the turn snce he cannot be betting more to get a free showdown (no matter how much it costs [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

It still nets me 1 bet less if I am ahead of a worse King.

Why different at 15/30 than higher?

Thanks

trevor
Old 07-25-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why different at 15/30 than higher?

[/ QUOTE ]i dont know if the 15 plkays as aggro/tricky as it used to... ppl love turn raises and free showdown plays in the higher limits... they will raise the turn with anything. however, the better players will fold most hands you beat to a turn threebet.
of course that K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] put a plethora of draw onto the board, so i can see a semi bluff here for sure... if he is semibluffing, the call/donkbet line is the worst.
i suppose you have to guess, and im changing my recomendation to calling down or threebetting... 50/50. both looky ok. if the K was rainbow, i like call/bet river. you combat a free showdown, and ppl are often confused on the end and will pay you off with v. weak hands as well as "just call" with two pair.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:37 AM

Villain showed down KJo and MHIG

trevor
Old 07-26-2005, 11:54 AM

what are hands that a player of 17/6 would play here and on the flop? hed raise QTs etc right out on the flop. if he had AK he'd raise preflop but given his 6, he may not raise KJ/KQ/K9s. when he raises the turn he is saying a) i have a crubbie frushie dwaw b) i have a K, c) i have you creamed w/ a set. personally, i think that b is by far the most likely. i would hate to see the turn capped though so i think the play on the turn is to call.

on the river, however, you should entertaint the possibility of checkraising a blank.

i like that a lot.

-Barron