Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 07:35 AM

Default Allin TT

In last night's Super Tuesday, there were 65 players left; I had T10K, which was slightly less than average. I get TT in 3rd position. With the blinds 500/1000, I raise allin.

I get called by AK. Despite that I am a 4-3 favorite, an ace falls on the river and I am down to T3K (bad beat police). If not for that ace, I would have had a good chance to make the final table.

I figure pushing was EV+ compared to folding. There is about a 12% chance of getting called with a higher pair, in which case I lose on average about T6K. I am most likely to pick up the T1.5K blinds. My expected gain being called by AK was about T4K. If I am called by a nonpair, it will probably be AK or AQ. If my opponents cards were suited, my expected gain would be about T2K.

Anybody not push here? I don't like to bet 1/3 of my chips. If I had a few more chips or a bigger pair, I might have made a standard raise or possibly a miniraise. I have heard it said that a big allin is probably AK or JJ, so maybe this is the right way to play TT.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Allin TT

The last thing u want is a re-raise, so you've got to push your chips in if you play it IMO. It's a decision I wouldn't want to have to make though, but in your position I don't really see that you have any other choice.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:52 AM

pushing was the right play i believe

i hate seeing one of the overs fall on the river or turn, sometimes it makes me second guess if a minraise then autopush on the flop would have been best, but if an ace or king falls, he's gonna call on the push flop, if not, it becomes a relatively easy fold for the overcard holder. but i consider this to be more of a gamble than simply getting the money in the middle right away.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:27 AM

This is a classic example of one of those coin flips you have to win to make it to the final table. A good raise puts 1/3 - 2/5 of your stack in the pot and may still get re-raised in which case you know your either beat or in a coin flip. Its better to go all in to at least get the folding equity against AQ AJ KQ KJ QJ and possibly a average stacked JJ who doesn't feel like gambling in this spot.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:51 AM

There was no way you get a short stack (T6000) to lay down big slick in that siutation. Perhaps (perhaps, perhaps), you make it 3000 to go, then push the flop when no ace hits. But this is just begging for a reraise. 10s are good, push em and accept what happens.