Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Gin Rummy for beginners

So obviously, once this whole poker thing dries up, Gin Rummy is gonna be the new game to play. I want to get into it and I want to be good. What are some good books to start off with?
Old 07-25-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Gin Rummy for beginners

Been debating with a friend recently if Gin could ever catch on as a popular game again. I haven't really come to a conclusion yet whether or not the luck v. skill factor is close enough to make games last. I think it might be though.

After busting out of a small tourney last year, I whipped out a deck and asked a gamblin friend of mine to play me 5$ a game in Gin, and after a while kids starting watching and it has caught on with them, which is a surprise to me. Most want to play Rummy 500 however, which IMO is much more crapshooty.

Anyways, as far as I know not much has been written on the subject. The book, well it is really a pamphlet by Sam Fry that is like 3$ on Amazon is short but good.

The book by Killebrew or however you spell it had an insight or two but probably not worth the price to most at around 10$. A few threads back had a mention of some 200$ Gin book, which is very interesting, to say the least. This thread also had mention of another book I beleive.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:37 PM

If you can find Oswald Jacoby's book on Gin, I forgot the exact title, I'd say it's the best book on Gin bar none. I found it at a used book store. It was written in the 50's I think but it's outstanding w/ a lot of in-depth strategy. Most other books mentioned in other threads are kind of general. Haven't seen that $200 book either. Too pricy. I wish Gin were more popular. It's a great gambling game.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:39 PM

Yeah i love this game...we should start mini tournaments on yahoo...$5 buy in...