Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Calling an all-in with KK preflop

I have been debating whether to post this hand, as it probably has a stupid answer, but I am new to MTT and I need to know.

I have read most of the posts in the MTT wisdom anthology post about playing early in MTTs and I am pretty sure what the right play was here but I think there may be room for some debate.

It is the very first hand of one of the $12,500, 25,000 ARP with 66 players at Absolute (so my buy-in was worth about $190).

Although the tournament only costs Absolute Reward Points to get into, I feel like most of the field is probably fairly strong, as it takes a while to accumulate 25,000 ARPs to get into the tourney. I am probably an average NL MTT player in relationship to the field.

First hand of the tourney.
I raise 3xBB in EP with KK.
A guy pushes all-in from late position.
All others fold.

What percentage of the time does this guy hold Aces? I have never played with this guy before, so no reads.

If I was a better than average player to the rest of the field, does this make a difference here?
Old 11-13-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Calling an all-in with KK preflop

To even think of folding there would be terrible, instacall.

Dan Harrington wouldn't fold KK here and neither should you.

Thanks.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:19 PM

In the probability forum (I think it's been discussed here and in books too), there is a % of prob. that you have kings and other guy has aces.. it's very minimal and it's a push every time for me.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:24 PM

of course this probability is completely irrelevant and should be ignored. Still, easy call.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:56 PM

If your going to call if reraised all-in anyway then wouldn't the preferred play to be to push to start with? why let a middle pair call your raise, hit his set on the flop and THEN knock u out?
And if your reraised are you not risking your entire tourny on #1 this player would go all -in with QQ or worse? #2 this player wont get lucky with his AK,QQ,JJ or whatever and knock me out ?
the reason i ask for input is i was called twice yesterday, both times the guy had AA and i was gone in the 1st hr of each tourny. a $10 multi and the $40,000 guar both at Party.
Im thinking no more pushing KK for me unless im in LP with only limpers in the pot, ive long since quit pushing AK for the same reason. dbling early vs getting knocked out just doesnt seem +EV for me.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:57 PM

I was playing the bodog $100k tourney today- first 10 minutes i get dealt KK- i raise in MP to 60 - i get reraised to 120- i call.
Flop 5, 6, 8- rainbow...
i bet 100- he raises to 300. i call.
turn 5.
i check- he bets 100- i call.
rvr- 2
i check he checks. He turns over AA.

I often don't know what to do here. First instinct was Allin PF- but luckily he reraised- and i was able to save myself some $.

Tough call.