Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Flpped nut flush, how to proceed?

ok, sorry for not clarifying.

game is 1/2 NL, all three players had just sat down, so no real read except that UTG+1 called a raise of 10 in the previous hand with 23off and flopped a full house, i have about $300, everyone else has $100 a piece.

4 players in the pot, I have everyone covered and 2nd to last to act. UTG raises preflop making it $7 straight, everyone calls.

I hold A4s, flop comes 7s 6s 2s

UTG bets $20, next guy raises making it $40 straight. what's my play? reraise or smooth call and pray the board doesn't pair up?

How I played and outcome of hand:
<font color="white"> I smooth called the entire way, the turn was a 3d, UTG moves all in with about $55, next guy calls, i call and button calls and is all in for less. River is a 6d, the board is now paired up and two players are all in. guy with chips left checks to me, I move all in, he has about $40 in chips left and calls. UTG had pocket pair, 2nd guy had a J high flush, button mucked.</font>
Old 10-19-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Flpped nut flush, how to proceed?

[ QUOTE ]
4 players in the pot, I have everyone covered and 2nd to last to act.

I hold A4s, flop comes 7s 6s 2s

UTG bets $20, next guy raises making it $40 straight. what's my play? reraise or smooth call and pray the board doesn't pair up?

How I played and outcome of hand:
<font color="white"> I smooth called the entire way, the turn was a 3d, UTG moves all in with about $55, next guy calls, i call and button calls and is all in for less. River is a 6d, the board is now paired up and two players are all in. guy with chips left checks to me, I move all in, he has about $40 in chips left and calls. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop action? Stack sizes in relation to the blinds? And reads on opponents? Provide these and we'll have a real hand to talk about.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:39 AM

I don't like slowplaying here. I think you have to charge someone with a set trying to fill up. Also, if a fourth spade hits the turn it might kill your action.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:40 AM

I don't know what the blinds are so I'm going to guess at that the pot holds about ~$80 so I think a smooth call is in order because you only have to worry about the board paring which is less than 15% or so of happening. You might get the guy after you or the UTG to move in. You might also get the people to come along for ride. The only risk is if the UTG has the set then he is getting 6:1 on the call which gives him the pot odds to call. So you could make it $50 - $60 to go and make the odds less favorable but close enough to make the play.

or

You could push and hope that someone with a made flush puts you on the set\two pair\4 flush w/ Ace and calls.

-Gryph
Old 10-19-2005, 11:42 AM

I would reraise them all-in. You probably won't get any action if another spade pops up on the turn, neither would you like to see the board pair. So, shove it in.

Dumle
Old 10-19-2005, 12:12 PM

by re-rasing on the flop, this might scare off the button and he might fold (he would have to call 3 bets cold). Don't I want as many players in the pot with the nut flush?
Old 10-19-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
by re-rasing on the flop, this might scare off the button and he might fold (he would have to call 3 bets cold). Don't I want as many players in the pot with the nut flush?

[/ QUOTE ]

Push. There's already close to $100 in the pot, and if their stacks started at ~$100 then they'll get odds to call anyway. There are cards you don't want to see on the turn/river, you have a bettor, raiser, and the best of it right now, so get your money in right now. Push.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Push. There's already close to $100 in the pot, and if their stacks started at ~$100 then they'll get odds to call anyway. There are cards you don't want to see on the turn/river, you have a bettor, raiser, and the best of it right now, so get your money in right now. Push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tips. This is my problem with NL, I am not aggressive enough or maybe I am just being greedy. I guess the bottom line here is that I need to put my opponents to a decision for all their chips, is this correct?
Old 10-19-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and No. Think about the logical holdings of people. You hold the Ace and the completed flush and there is a lot of action so far. Why would that be. Someone has to have made the set or two pair. This is really the only person you have to be afraid about. So how do you make this person make the mistake. Well they have to call does that are worst than 1:5.6. With so many people in the pot already you are looking to gets the other guy who has the made flush to go all in. They wont do this if a fourth flush hits which is going to happen 13% of the time if two more flush cards are dead.

If you think that the button or the UTG will go all in. Call. If you aren't sure they will bet, you must take the lead and raise to build the pot when you have the chance.

-Gryph
Old 10-19-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the tips. This is my problem with NL, I am not aggressive enough or maybe I am just being greedy. I guess the bottom line here is that I need to put my opponents to a decision for all their chips, is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]
Get your money in the middle when you are a favorite to win the pot. You have the nuts. The next best hand is 77 (set) and you have to charge him to see the turn. You can't slowplay since the next card can give your opponent a better hand (boat). You're a 65% favorite to the river against a set. Move in and hope your opponent calls. He's making a big mistake if he does and that's how you make money in holdem.