Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2005, 10:22 PM

Default Million Dollar Baby

Incredible Movie. I don't remember the last time I felt so moved by a film.

(has this been discussed before? seems like it should have)
Old 02-21-2005, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Million Dollar Baby

Women's boxing grosses me out for some reason.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Women's boxing grosses me out for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the reason is that you're not used to seeing huge women with massive, gaping cuts on their face beating the [censored] out of each other.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:26 PM

I thought it sucked. Possibly because I had no feelings one way or another on the controversial topic. I know it wasn't supposed to be a 'boxing' movie, but I was underwhelmed anyways by just about all the boxing sequences.

Hilary Swank's family was not exactly believable in their cruelty. Also, I know some of the best movies have lots of questions left... but this movie takes the cake. The amount of things you never find out about, and their pertinence to the story, are frustrating. I couldn't believe we never really hear anything about his daughter.

EDIT: Sucked is too strong a word. It was more like it underachieved more than most movies I have seen, plus Eastwood is probably my favorite all time director.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:27 PM

Yeah, it got discussed. But there's no harm in discussing it more [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Again, folks, if you haven't seen this, you really need to check it out.

Will
Old 02-21-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't believe we never really hear anything about his daughter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes this was one of the biggest problems of the movie. They really did not explain what happened between them at all.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it sucked. Possibly because I had no feelings one way or another on the controversial topic. I know it wasn't supposed to be a 'boxing' movie, but I was underwhelmed anyways by just about all the boxing sequences.

Hilary Swank's family was not exactly believable in their cruelty. Also, I know some of the best movies have lots of questions left... but this movie takes the cake. The amount of things you never find out about, and their pertinence to the story, are frustrating. I couldn't believe we never really hear anything about his daughter.

EDIT: Sucked is too strong a word. It was more like it underachieved more than most movies I have seen, plus Eastwood is probably my favorite all time director.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your comments. It was a good movie, not a great movie. Everyone is so willing to overlook this movie's numerous flaws. What really bothered me, in addition to her family being a caricature was not the boxing itself but the fan/crowd reactions during the boxing. If you have ever watched a single fight on TV, you'd see the crowd's cheering and reactions were utterly ridiculous. I wonder if anyone else picked up on this.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:37 PM

a) The long-lost daughter is part of Eastwood's character. It helps provide a context for his actions in the rest of the film.

b) It's a lot more true-to-life when the long-lost daughter doesn't show up to jazz up the third act.

Will
Old 02-21-2005, 11:04 PM

psshreck what the hell are you talking about? your "analysis" of this movie illustrates your stupidity and complete lack of understanding of this movie
Old 02-21-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
psshreck what the hell are you talking about? your "analysis" of this movie illustrates your stupidity and complete lack of understanding of this movie

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not gonna get in a flame war bud, but just look at the posts, some people agreed with parts of my analysis. This is my opinion, dont get all pissed about it. I accept that many others thought it was a great movie, and I also think they are not wrong. Just a matter of taste.