Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2005, 03:16 AM

Default Hollywood Hold\'Em on E!

just caught a glimpse of this thing tonight. The chick from 70s show was hosting the game at her house and Phil Laak was the dealer. my intial thoughts were that he rigged the deck when some guy flopped a royal flush. anyone else see this show?
Old 03-21-2005, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Hollywood Hold\'Em on E!

I don't think it was rigged at all (Laak seemed as surprised as everyone else), but it surely was amusing -- certainly funnier than other "celebrity" poker shows. (And I was also amused to see them smoking: I thought no one smokes anymore!)
Old 03-21-2005, 03:59 AM

The players shuffled the decks, I am betting one of the actors set the deck (had a set deck ready and switched). Quads and a Royal Flush all in the same show..
Old 03-21-2005, 09:35 AM

You aren't serious, are you?

If you play a LOT of poker, you see a LOT of very strange things. Saw a guy in a game two weeks ago have quad tens two hands in a row. See quads hit the board probably once a month. See the high end of a straight flush beat the ass end of a straight flush. It doesn't mean the deck is stacked.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:08 AM

Awful show, and yes my first instinct was that he definitely rigged the deck (Flopped one guy a royal flush and the other guy a lower flush).
Old 03-21-2005, 11:55 AM

Yeah, this is the Hollywood we want influencing our kids. Smoking, getting poopie-faced drunk and gambooling.

The smoking really took me aback. With all the evidence for the harmfulness of smoking, I don't see how anyone in that age group would smoke. I mean, anyone 40-50 years old who smokes is kinda dumb The evidence was still just getting out, so they can still claim plausible deniability. Anyone 30-40 who smokes is just stupid - by then, it was impossible to ignore the message. Anyone under 30 who smokes is a total farkin' idiot.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, this is the Hollywood we want influencing our kids. Smoking, getting poopie-faced drunk and gambooling.

The smoking really took me aback. With all the evidence for the harmfulness of smoking, I don't see how anyone in that age group would smoke. I mean, anyone 40-50 years old who smokes is kinda dumb The evidence was still just getting out, so they can still claim plausible deniability. Anyone 30-40 who smokes is just stupid - by then, it was impossible to ignore the message. Anyone under 30 who smokes is a total farkin' idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

and i bet you drive your SUV, in traffic, to work every day. hate to tell you but 30 minutes in traffic has more carcinogens than a whole pack of cigs.

benzine is much more damaging than nicotine, but the auto and oil industries have washington punishing the tobacco industry as a pacifier.

wake up, smoke may be annoying to non-smokers but if we don't do something about the auto emissions we will all die.

love&peace,
olde drunk
Old 03-21-2005, 01:33 PM

What SUV? I don't know no stupid SUV. Nor is my commute anywhere near 30 minutes long.

My original statement stands. If you smoke and are under 50, you have some serious problems with making reasonable decisions. If you're under 30 and smoke, you're an unmitigated idiot.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:46 PM

Not sure if it was the first showing or not, but it was on at 11pm Central. I think the adults watching it can figure out for themselves about the smoking. If they showed it earlier, then yes, I can see some concern, but if they show it later, then it doesn't bother me.

Actually, I thought it was fairly entertaining. Much better than Celebrity Poker Showdown and to some extent, better than the WPT Hollywood Home Game shows. These guys at least looked like they were having fun.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:54 PM

They were indeed having fun, and I rather enjoyed the campiness of the Phil Laak "lessons" where all his shill players were wearing Laak-style hoodies.