Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 08:54 PM

Default 3-betting mid pairs PF

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (14.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero folds, BB calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (10.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, BB calls.

I find I'm often 3-betting mid pairs like this preflop in attempt to get heads up. Is it an acceptable play?

Final Pot: 16.25 BB
Old 02-22-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Re: 3-betting mid pairs PF

With no read on CO you played it fine. His cap is screaming high pocket, AK, AQs, something nice. The board came down a lot of nothing for you and a lot of something for him. Unless he's a wild man, I'd say lay down the small pot and wait for something better to battle with. Preflop 3-bet ok.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:02 PM

What is your read on the raiser?

On a loose raiser I'll 3bet. But against an unknown I'd probably cold call this since we have two limpers already. I don't think you're in thaaaaat great of a position against a normal raiser.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:06 PM

I do not think that this is a good play at all. First there are already 2 limpers in front of the raiser and this is 1/2 (people will much much less frequently than they should). I would not try this play with limpers in front of the raiser... because if there are even 3 people to a flop, if you don't make a set, than you're gonna be facing a really scary situation no matter what the board is in my opinion.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find I'm often 3-betting mid pairs like this preflop in attempt to get heads up. Is it an acceptable play?

[/ QUOTE ]

After looking at my stats a week ago I decided I was cold calling too many times with mid-pairs so I've made a conscious decision to three bet more(player dependent of course)or fold. Too early to tell if this is a better strategy for me but I'm curious to see other posters responses.

-Pete
Old 02-23-2005, 10:41 PM

3-betting is good because dead money is your lifeblood and a 3-bet could get up to 3.5sbs of dead money in the pot. The alternative is to smoothcall on the button and pop any flop you like, but given the wide range of hands many players will raise from the CO with a few limpers, I like pounding with 99 here. I think 88 is the borderline hand in this decision as 77 I'd definitely smoothcall with.