Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 12:42 PM

Default Pure agression vs Tight play on the bubble, need some help

I've been 4 tabling a lot of the $15 SnG on PokerStars and I come up in this situation a lot. There are 4 people left, I am in 3rd place. The chip totals are:

Leader ~ 6k
2nd ~3k
Me ~2.5k
4th ~ 1.5k

I used to adjust my strategy based on chips and position and blinds and such, which makes sense. If the blinds were high and 4th was about to hit it, I might wait for premium hands or play a little tighter. I normally tighten up a little bit and not push too many edges, steal when appropriate and slide into 3rd place, with a chance of getting 2nd, but almost nill of making 1st.

Now, I have switched to a very agressive mode. If I am under 10 BB, I am pushing every SB and BB if I am the first in, regardless of how soon 4th is going to go out. I am making raises against players who are weak and limping in (not players are strong/tight/agressive who are limping in) And I am sometimes stealing under the gun if the table seems too passive.

I would like to know everyone's opinion on this. I've changed my attitude from trying to finish as high as I reasonably can, to shooting for 1st every time. I haven't played enough to give you guys any results. My ROI with my previous method was around 10% with 9% 1st place finished and 45% ITM.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Pure agression vs Tight play on the bubble, need some help

[ QUOTE ]

Now, I have switched to a very agressive mode. If I am under 10 BB, I am pushing every SB and BB if I am the first in, regardless of how soon 4th is going to go out. I am making raises against players who are weak and limping in (not players are strong/tight/agressive who are limping in) And I am sometimes stealing under the gun if the table seems too passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect. In fact, I don't know that I've seen a better description of how to play the bubble on this forum.

Irieguy