Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Stars 3/6 6-max

I usually post in the micros, but I I'm getting to that point where my hands aren't really Micro-Limit anymore so I thought I'd appeal to this group. I've been playing 6-max exclusively for the past 30k hands or so but at the limits I play (Stars - mostly 2/4 and occasionally 3/6), most of my posts are unanswered in hush (understandably, most there are not familiar with players at those limits or my questions are too mundane). So I was hoping to find some others who play shorthanded at these limits who might be able to help.

Here is the specific hand:

3/6 6-max game at PokerStars.

Don't have the actual hand history with me, but I remember it vividly...

I'm UTG dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I raise, MP (a tight player 3-bets), LP (another fairly tight player) cold calls, the BB calls.

Flop is K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I bet...

My thoughts here. Board is very scary for opponents with no spades, I may get a hand like Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or AJ to fold, I'm not folding just yet with a gs/overcard and check/calling just seems like a good way to get knocked out of the hand...(maybe this is ok?) I'm not sure whether or not this was the best line so please discuss.

...MP raises LP calls BB folds I call.

Turn is T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] completing my straight. I bet MP calls LP raises...

So I'm madly trying to put them on hands. I think MP may have a flush draw, possibly something like A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], or maybe a set (KK/JJ). I can't imagine him just calling here with a hand that's ahead of me (LP has already shown that he's not afraid of cold calling here).

LP raising makes it likely he's got a strong hand here. I don't think he has the flush although it is possible (The only hands that make sense here for a flush would be A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]). It's definitely possible he has AQo here, also TT/JJ/AK are possible. K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] could be another holding here at this point.

...I 3-bet figuring that I'm usually way ahead of MP here. Barring a non-spade/non-pairing river card I'm often way ahead or splitting here.

LP caps and we both call.

River is the non-descript 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I check/call LP's bet getting an overcall from MP.

Seem ok?
Old 09-14-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Stars 3/6 6-max

Sometimes you can cap preflop, but maybe not against this lineup.

Betting the flop is bad. You simply aren't folding the hands like QQ and AJ very often, even when you are raised. It's a big pot you'd like to win, but you can't do much on a flop like this. Plan to check and call a single bet - you'd love to hit a non-spade ten, and your aces are probably not worth a full out. Unimproved, it's an easy check/fold. When you improve, bet.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Betting the flop is bad. You simply aren't folding the hands like QQ and AJ very often, even when you are raised. It's a big pot you'd like to win, but you can't do much on a flop like this. Plan to check and call a single bet - you'd love to hit a non-spade ten, and your aces are probably not worth a full out. Unimproved, it's an easy check/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah a friend of mine pretty much said the same thing. Call 1 back, fold for 2.

Any thoughts on the turn/river play? Too aggressive? River check/call good?
Old 09-14-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Betting the flop is bad. You simply aren't folding the hands like QQ and AJ very often, even when you are raised. It's a big pot you'd like to win, but you can't do much on a flop like this. Plan to check and call a single bet - you'd love to hit a non-spade ten, and your aces are probably not worth a full out. Unimproved, it's an easy check/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah a friend of mine pretty much said the same thing. Call 1 back, fold for 2.

Any thoughts on the turn/river play? Too aggressive? River check/call good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the turn and river. I think b/c'ing the river also has some merit as you might be able to trap the middle player for 2 bets to get a better overlay.

I also didn't like the flop bet for the same reason mentioned above.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The turn play is good three bet is essential to drive out mp, when he caps it's easy check call on riv
Old 09-14-2005, 04:03 PM

In the stars $3/6 6max game, I check-fold this flop.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the stars $3/6 6max game, I check-fold this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Party 3/6 6m also.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:26 PM

Interesting hand.

A flop bet wins this big pot so infrequently after that pf action that it's certainly -EV as an attempt to steal the pot. You might be drawing truly dead already. If you are seeing the turn do you really want to put any more money in here let alone bet it and get call or a raise? I probably check fold this but possibly call if I'm closing the actionh and feeling saucy.

The turn makes me want to C/R. This gets checked through like never and I fully expect MP to bet and I get to trap LP for more bets. The way you played it I like the 3-bet a lot but I'm bumming when LP caps as he has the nut flush an alarming amount when he does this on such a coordinated board. At this point I'm hoping to chop or discover an overplayed set and want to show this down as cheaply as possible as long as the river is a brick.

The river is goot.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the responses all!

I agree, c/f the flop is probably the right play.

Villian did in fact have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].