Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 01:46 AM

Default I feel lost...

... whenever I play no limit. Here is a recent example.

I do not have a read on villian because:
- I had only been playing this table for about 5-10 hands.
- I do not have any software on my laptop.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button ($92.38)
SB ($363.15)
Hero ($185)
UTG ($171.65)
UTG+1 ($31.35)
UTG+2 ($180)
MP1 ($208.60)
MP2 ($198)
MP3 ($132.29)
CO ($256.90)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls $2, MP1 calls $2, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $13</font>, UTG+2 calls $13, MP1 calls $13, SB folds.

Flop: ($47) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, UTG+2 calls $20, MP1 folds.

Turn: ($87) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets $40</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $127

I raised big pre-flop because I wanted to severely limit the field a lot... My position really sucks so I was unsure about potentially building a big pot and although my raise was large I thought this would discourage action. Besides my hand is really good.

I didn't know how to play the hand post-flop at all. $20 seemed like a very reasonable bet on the flop though to find out where I am at... I am really unsure about this though.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:55 AM

Default Re: I feel lost...

would you have bet $20 on the flop if you held AA? AK? KK?
Old 11-04-2005, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I suppose that I would bet somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-50. Leaning closer to 40ish.

edit: But what can reasonable call a $20 bet on this flop that I beat? From my very limited experience playing NL I can't see a lot of hands this guy could have from this position that would call my big raise pre-flop and a 40% pot bet on this ragged flop.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:19 AM

I guess my feeling was this:
I would bet more with the hands you indicate, AA, AK (maybe not KK though)... but does that really matter?

This is a really ragged flop. This guy called a large bet pre-flop from somone raising out of the blinds (ie. showing a lot of strength). Then I came out firing inot this board with a decent bet, and although it is only a half pot bet - it's still $20 and that has to be enough to show these guys I mean business.

After he calls that bet as well he basically has to have a king right?

Well, if all of that is true then why bet more than $20 if $20 will get me all of the information that I need to correctly play my hand?
Old 11-04-2005, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No. I suppose that I would bet somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-50. Leaning closer to 40ish.

edit: But what can reasonable call a $20 bet on this flop that I beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any two cards that have figured out you would bet more than $20 if you have top pair beat, and $20 or less if you don't.

You can't vary your continuation bet size based on the quality of your hand. Your opponents will pick up on it. Lead like you always lead, or check, as you should occasionally, nuts or not.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

edit: But what can reasonable call a $20 bet on this flop that I beat? From my very limited experience playing NL I can't see a lot of hands this guy could have from this position that would call my big raise pre-flop and a 40% pot bet on this ragged flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hands is villain limping and calling a raise UTG+2 in full ring? AQ, KQ,KJs, AJs, ATs, any pp? I think you nee dto pot the flop and then fold to his turn bet. If villain is capable of laying down TPTK or AA, a check raise all-in on the turn might work (though I have only done this once and that was with a specific read).

As played I would fold. You are drawing very thin to dead and villain has position so you may not get any more out of him on the river if your card hits.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

edit: But what can reasonable call a $20 bet on this flop that I beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any two cards that have figured out you would bet more than $20 if you have top pair beat, and $20 or less if you don't.

You can't vary your continuation bet size based on the quality of your hand. Your opponents will pick up on it. Lead like you always lead, or check, as you should occasionally, nuts or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

My continuation bets are about half pot.

Also, this shouldn't matter much. No one at the table knew how I played or what my bets meant - I hadn't made any bets - as I indicated in my original post.

There is no real metagame to this hand and do opponents at 1/2 routinely call these pre-flop raises and flop bets with the idea of taking the hand away on the turn?

I'm really trying to understand this hand... but talking about typical bet sizes here can't be right. It's the first time I've played NL in at least 3 weeks and this was within 10 hands of sitting at the table.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no real metagame to this hand and do opponents at 1/2 routinely call these pre-flop raises and flop bets with the idea of taking the hand away on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. A good player (and there a few at NL $200) will do just that. Villain has a K or is telling you he has a K beat. I think that biggest mistake you made was not having a plan on how to play this type of hand.

How would normally play a pocket pair OOP in a raised pot with a single overcard on the board? That should be your line here, whether you had 88 or QQ. Your flop bet gave draws correct implied odds to keep drawing. No one with a K is folding to that bet. Your check induced the guy with the king to bet because he didn't want anyone taking a free card. That should tell you that you are beat.

Occasionally, you have to fire a second bullet on the turn to chase out Kxs and chasers as many players give no respect to continuation bets.

Another good line would be to check/raise the flop and if check through, fire out a pot-sized bet on the turn. That will fold any marginal hand that beats you and anyone with a monster will step forward. Notice that you lose about the same amount as you did the way you played it, but these alternatives give you a few additional ways to get better hands to fold.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your flop bet gave draws correct implied odds to keep drawing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop was K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] -- what was the draw he was giving proper odds to? The only possible draw I see here is 65, but it's too unlikely to think UTG+2 would call a $13 raise from the small blind with even 65s.

Am I missing something?

LipBalmGuy
Old 11-04-2005, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your flop bet gave draws correct implied odds to keep drawing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop was K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] -- what was the draw he was giving proper odds to? The only possible draw I see here is 65, but it's too unlikely to think UTG+2 would call a $13 raise from the small blind with even 65s.

Am I missing something?

LipBalmGuy

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think I thought the 4 was an 8 or 9 when I posted. I obviously need another cup of coffee [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] S

Still, there are plenty of donks who 'draw' if they are 3 to both a straight and a flush.

I guess I just hate to see a blocking bet on the flop. It screams, "I didn't hit, please fold because I probably had you beat pre-flop."