Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 05:19 PM

Default TT against aggressive raiser after checked flop

Villain is quite TAG (17/5/2.3 after about 50 hands). He raises aggressively and has already pushed me off a hand before. As far as I can recall, I haven't seen him at a SD yet so I don't know if he could be raising on thin air, has slowplayed a big pair or is semi-bluffing here. What do you do?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, Hero ???
Old 11-21-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Re: TT against aggressive raiser after checked flop

Preflop 3-bet + flop check on that board = scram; he's got a monster.

Don't bet the turn either IMO.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:24 PM

Fold. In my experience, this is always a monster. Villain is going to have AA, QQ, or maybe AQ virtually 100% of the time.

It's worth noting on the flop that there are virtually no hands for villain to have that you beat. You're obviously behind all premium pairs as well as AK and AQ. Villain's stats don't appear to be those of a guy who 3-bets with KJ or 99 preflop.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:30 PM

Grunch:

I think you are WA/WB - the flop check turn raise may be a way of using the expensive streets to extract max $$, which is sometimes a hallmark of a super aggressive player (a tAAAAAG?) I think you either call him down here, possibly paying to see his cards or do it the next time you are HU with him and see the same pattern. Personally, I'd do it here as to not let someone push me off 2 hands in a row HU.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:32 PM

Hmm. Looks like you're behind here; he could be "slowplaying" a pair of As.

Even with your read, it makes it hard to call down in this uncomfortable spot. I'd fold and be more inclined to call down in another spot with a slightly better hand.

The way that villain played his hand, it smells of an induced bluff.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:38 PM

Preflop is fine. I usually put a late position 5% reraiser on AA-TT, AKs/o, AQs or AKs absent any other info. You can't beat any of those at this point and you don't have any draws that look solid.

Flop check is ok given 2 overcards since you have no decent draws.

I would also bet the turn, but I would definitely fold to the reraise. Unless you've seen some sort of proof he would bluff here I don't see anything you are beating or likely to beat on the river...
Old 11-21-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop 3-bet + flop check on that board = scram; he's got a monster.

Don't bet the turn either IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, we've had a recent rash of these hands lately. One from me, one from Miles, and now this. It's not a bad post, however. You really have to fold this. He's got QQ or AA here almost every time, and the remaining times he has AQ. His PFR is so small that you can't put him on many more hands than this. This is not the best turn to bet. You're hoping for a scared KK, and you're not ahead of a scared KK. I'd need a super weak-tight read to want to bet at him.