Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2004, 05:12 PM

Default A\'s from hell

Last night I had something happen that was new for me.

Everytime I got a high set of PP (TT-KK) a damn A would fall on the flop and I'd end up losing. It must have happened 10 times last night. I even was dealt KK twice back to back and lost oboth when an A fell on the flop and the Aanything players won.

How far does everyone go when this happens? Do you fold the reraise? Do you 3 bet and fold the cap? Do you call and hope for the set on the turn? I tried all 3 with varying success. Calling the raise and seeing the turn seemed to work the best for me. Than check/folding the turn if unimproved.

The biggest problem with this happening was my raises got no respect after I end up folding so often.

Any advice for this situation?

Thanx
Jim
Old 01-19-2004, 05:38 PM

Default Re: A\'s from hell

Based on this and your other post, it sounds like you are in tilt-mode.

All I can say is don't fall in love with TT-KK. After the flop, the odds of getting a set on the turn or river are very small. So you play it almost like you have 2nd pair. What would you do if you have A9s and the flop comes 9 5 K with none of your suit and you see lots of action?
Old 01-19-2004, 05:42 PM

It's tough man. And it does suck to lose with KK to A2.

But the key is not what happens Preflop, but what happens Postflop. Can you get away from it at times? Can you get away cheaply?
I love being in spots like that where I raise with KK, get 4 callers, the flop comes A-hi, and I check-fold the flop, to see Ax win at the showdown. That is a sweet feeling man.

So as for what you do it depends TOTALLY on the action. Sometimes I might check-fold (a lot of "any A" callers), sometimes I might raise (shorthanded, with a bluffer betting, a flush draw on board), sometimes I might check-call (with a big pot with odds to hit my set).

If you post some examples it might help. Then maybe we can see if you could have made any better *postflop* decisions. Which is, in the end, the only thing you can do anything about. An Ace flopping if we have KK is after all completely out of our hands.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:49 PM

Against 1 or 2, I'll do what you did, call a flop raise and see the turn. Against 3 or more, i usually muck it, figureing at least one of them has an Ace. I have very rarely been wrong with 3+ opponents.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love being in spots like that where I raise with KK, get 4 callers, the flop comes A-hi, and I check-fold the flop, to see Ax win at the showdown. That is a sweet feeling man.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess we have different definitions of a "sweet feeling" man. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2004, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you play it almost like you have 2nd pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think second pair is a much STRONGER hand against multiple opponents than a pocket underpair. Especially with an overcard as in your A9 example. We're talking about 5 probable outs compared to 2. I'd call a bet with mid-pair/overcard but dump the kings everytime with 3 or more opponents. But then again, I'm not very good.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:17 PM

Can't agree with that. A hand like A9s here has an extra 3 outs to improve than QQ would.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:10 PM

2 back to back KK hands

Hand 1

Party Poker 1/2 (10 handed)
Hero has K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and is MP2

EP2 limps, Hero raises, MP3 calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, EP2 calls

Flop(9 SB): Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, EP2 bets, Hero raises, MP3 calls, SB folds, EP2 calls

Turn(7 1/2 BB): 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

EP2 checks, Hero checks, MP3 bets, EP2 calls, Hero folds

River(9 1/2 BB): J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

EP2 bets, MP3 calls

MP3 showed AJo, EP2 showed QJo

Hand 2

Party Poker 1/2 (10 handed)
Hero has K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and is CO

MP2 raises, Hero 3-bets, Button folds, BB folds, UTG calls, MP2 calls

Flop(10 SB): T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG checks, MP2 bets, Hero calls, UTG folds

Turn(6 BB): 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

MP2 bets, Hero calls

River(8 BB): A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

MP2 bets, Hero folds

Unknown MP2 hand but I'm sure there was an A. Same player as Hand 1

Hand 2 I know I misplayed. Should have folded the turn

Jim

Old 01-19-2004, 11:15 PM

Hand 1:
I may have just folded. I may not have though. The Flop that is.
When you raise the Flop, which is correct if you're playing on, then check-folding the Turn is correct, to me.

Hand 2:
Hmmm. Well it looks like you intend to call him down (there's no draws). So I guess you figure you might be ahead. If you think he's bluffing I don't think calling him down is so bad.
But then you fold the River. Why? It changed nothing. You were already behind to a single Ace, and you still are. You are behind and ahead every single hand on the River you were on the Turn.
Can you tell me why you called the Flop and more importantly the Turn, and then folded on the River headsup for one bet? Did you intend to call the River when you called the Turn?

Looks like you're running into a few of these though Jim. You have my sympathies!
Old 01-19-2004, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you tell me why you called the Flop and more importantly the Turn, and then folded on the River headsup for one bet? Did you intend to call the River when you called the Turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest the only reason I called the turn was hoping for my 2 outer. I knew I was beat but continued anyway. On the river I came to my senses and folded. I don't think the flop call was that bad but I shoudl have folded the turn.

Jim