Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 03:14 AM

Default TP + FD - standard line for short stacks (40BB)

This question is mostly difficult because it involves the structure of our home game:

$20NL buyin, typically 7-8 handed, .25/50 blinds. Yes, everyone buys in at 40BB. It sucks, but I'm stuck with it for now.

This is a hypothetical hand, but I've run into it a few times already:

Hero has about $20
Villain also has about $20

Assume villain is a fairly honest player, and usually has some kind of hand when betting.

Hero is dealt: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in LP
3 limpers, hero limps in

Flop ($3 or so) comes:
A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
EP checks
MP1 bets $3
MP2 folds

Hero ???

At this point, two dimes says hero is about a 45/52 dog to AK, and about 30/70 to a set. I'm ruling out 2 pair.

Normally, I would put in a raise here to something like $10, but with our stack size, that would commit me entirely.

Which option would you go with:

(a) Call and see the turn for cheap? What's the plan when the turn is a non-diamond and the villain leads again for roughly another $5-10 or so?

(b) Just push here, and take advantage of fold equity since I'm about even against any TPGK

Notes on villain: with AK, he would normally call this all-in against people about 60% of the time. Against me, it would probably be much lower because of my tight image at the table.

My thoughts are: villain will most likely only call me with a set, where he would be ahead. Is it worth stealing $6 with the push?

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Re: TP + FD - standard line for short stacks (40BB)

push, rebuy if you lose your flip, and try to buy for more than 20 if they let you. If you win the flip, you now have 80BB and hopefully someone else will work their way deep to play some real poker. If you are concerned with him folding TPTK here, raise enough to get you both pot committed (maybe ~ 5 on top, leaving him 5 to call and 10 behind) and push the turn 100%. If he 4bets here, check your pot odds and fold to his set.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:40 AM

Raise preflop, raise flop. Commit yourself, your hand it sweet.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:10 AM

I also play in a short home game, and its a bas situation because if we lower the stakes it will still play the same and no one wants to buy in for more than 25. We started out at 10 buy in, but that got old fast, and ive fought for 25. Anyway, short stacked I dont see myself leaving this hand. Its just a question of where you wanna put it in. I push so that I can see both cards.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
push, rebuy if you lose your flip, and try to buy for more than 20 if they let you. If you win the flip, you now have 80BB and hopefully someone else will work their way deep to play some real poker. If you are concerned with him folding TPTK here, raise enough to get you both pot committed (maybe ~ 5 on top, leaving him 5 to call and 10 behind) and push the turn 100%. If he 4bets here, check your pot odds and fold to his set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude your analaysis is so wrong I dont know where to begin. Just push the flop. Hope he folds TPTK-TPGK (he wont). You only have $20 and a Pot sized raise would make it 13 to go, leaving you with 7 on the turn, so just push here and make it look like a bluff. Also raise preflop. A10s is nice in LP against multiple limpers.

Also, you cannot rule out 2 pair here in my expereince, or a str8.

Upon further reflection, I dont mind calling the flop and pushing any turn, but any way you do it all your money is going in as short as you are and with your hand.