Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Did I Overplay this Draw? (400 NL)

Both villains are bad LAGs. UTG is 75/40 BB is 50/25.
Preflop I was trying to play back at him because he has raised almost half of the hands over the hundred or so hands this session, and this is the first time I recall reraising him.
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB ($860.10)
BB ($530.60)
UTG ($640.15)
MP ($112.50)
CO ($419)
Hero ($386)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $25</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $21, UTG calls $17.

Flop: ($77) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $40</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $76</font>, UTG calls $72, Hero calls $321 (All-In), BB folds, UTG calls $285.

Final Pot: $875

Comments on all streets are welcome and appreciated.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Did I Overplay this Draw? (400 NL)

Why such a tiny raise on the flop? You want some folding equity. And I don't think there's any need to push after BB's gigantic show of strength. Just call.

EDIT: Pushing after BB's raise really screams of monster given your initial raise size though, so it's not totally retarded. But I don't think it's right. And I def don't think the initial raise size is right.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:50 PM

with all the dead money in there i'd probably play it the same way.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:04 PM

After BB check-raises and UTG calls, because I have no idea what to make of BB's and UTG's line, I just scratch my head and then push.

I like your play in this hand, however I would have made my first flop raise at least $50
Old 11-08-2005, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After BB check-raises and UTG calls, because I have no idea what to make of BB's and UTG's line, I just scratch my head and then push.

I like your play in this hand, however I would have made my first flop raise at least $50

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see myself playing it differently - though problem is I feel like I overplay monster draws with too much frequency.

What's your fold equity if 1 of them has top pair? If there isn't much, I'm more likely to call and peel off another card (is this the wrong way to think about this?)
Old 11-09-2005, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why such a tiny raise on the flop? You want some folding equity. And I don't think there's any need to push after BB's gigantic show of strength. Just call.

EDIT: Pushing after BB's raise really screams of monster given your initial raise size though, so it's not totally retarded. But I don't think it's right. And I def don't think the initial raise size is right.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, thanks for the responses. My thoughts when I pushed rather than calling is that I am guaranteed to see the river this way. I put BB on an ace with some kind of kicker that hes not gonna be able to get away from. I had no idea what the other villain had, but I didnt think it was anything great, and I thought he would fold.

Do you raise that tiny flop bet to somewhere around 70 or 80?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:23 AM

Yes, I'm raising the min-bet to $80 or so. You want these people to fold.

I think wheather you should push or call largely depends on BB. Is he going to push the turn like a normal person if he has a set? Or is he going to bet tiny, like he raised tiny? If he's going to push the turn with AK-AJ/88/TT, it's a very close turn decition for you if UTG folds. Then you are better off pushing the flop, since he'll probably fold if he doesn't have one of those hands. (And might fold AQ-AJ.)
Old 11-09-2005, 06:53 PM

So UTG had 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Turn and river didn't help me. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:21 PM

Really bad raise PF. You want to have something that can showdown with one pair vs these guys.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really bad raise PF. You want to have something that can showdown with one pair vs these guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to be able to pop this guy back with something other than just premium hands. What kind of hands do you recommend for playing back at this kind of LAG villain? I figured doing it with a hand like this would be better than w/ a hand that is easily dominated like AJ, but I am very interested in what you have to say on the subject...