Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 04:52 PM

Default AA in NL400 - Villain takes confusing line

Party 400NL

Villain has 570. I have him covered. This is my first time playing with him. We've been together for a few hours and I haven't seen him get out of line.

He limps in MP, I raise to 15 in LP w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], he calls. Pot is 36.

Flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He checks, I bet 22, he raises to 74, I call. Pot is 184.

Turn is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He immediately checks. My default play is check it through here, but I thought I could confidently fold to a check-raise and considered JTh his most likely holding at this point.

So I bet $100. He thinks for about 15 seconds and calls. Pot is 384.

River is an offsuit 3 for a final board of 82983, with no 3-flush. He immediately pushes for his remaining 380.

I stare at my screen very confused. By the end of the turn, I was nearly certain that he had JTh, but this river bet (combined with the previous action) just screams 'MONSTER' from a tighty in that game.

Call or fold? Also, does anyone think betting the turn is really bad?

Thanks.

The Bear
Old 07-20-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: AA in NL400 - Villain takes confusing line

What are the blinds in Party400?
Old 07-20-2005, 05:08 PM

Flop check raise, turn check, river big push indicate 22 or maybe 99 or 89s. Or he missed his draw w/JTs like you said. I dont think this is a very good call here, but I could be making a bad read.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:12 PM

The line is completely incoherent which makes me think he has a set thinks you are on a draw and wants you to get a free card. Your bet indicates a made hand, so he pushes the river expecting to get called. Easy fold.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:22 PM

2/4. Sorry.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:22 PM

Preflop raise was very small so his range is large. My first reaction was 98s.

If you are going to bet the turn when it is checked to you, I think you should just reraise the flop.

Given that you called, I think checking behind is best to control the pot, and you can call any reasonable bet on the river.

In that spot I would fold the river.

I think you need to bet more preflop, and consider folding on the flop. Otherwise, reraise the flop on that coordinated board.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:27 PM

Youre right, his line is very strange. However, I think for a player who "hasnt gotten out of line" in a couple hours, to do this, I think he has you crushed.

It looks like he wants you to think hes bluffing. He may even have 88.

I shake my head in confusion and fold.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop raise was very small so his range is large. My first reaction was 98s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, but the raise fits very well with my metagame. My range is likewise very large here, probably much larger than his.

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to bet the turn when it is checked to you, I think you should just reraise the flop....

consider folding on the flop. Otherwise, reraise the flop on that coordinated board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't fold the flop. I'm in position with a reasonable hand on a drawish board. Also, it would be really bad for future hands. I can't just let people know that they can check-raise the flop and take the pot away from me.

As for reraising the flop, I'm not crazy about that either. If I reraise the flop and he pushes, I'm sick. I've committed a lot of chips and I have no clue whether or not I have the best hand. That's a terrible spot. I think calling the flop to freeze him on the turn is a much better option. I'm not prepared to play a big pot with this hand yet.

The Bear
Old 07-20-2005, 05:32 PM

I have a recommendation that is unrelated to this specific hand : In this game, make your preflop raises 25 always - whether you have AA or connectors or whatever, just make it clear that if people want to play pots with you you're not [censored] around - Seeing a 15 preflop bet in a 400 game - even if that's the standard open, makes me cringe. Force people to make more difficult decisions whenever you can.

Just what I would do.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:32 PM

Good points. What if he leads the turn for $80-$100 in the same scenario?