Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 11:51 PM

Default AK question

this is my first post on this forum. this hand is taken from a MTT i was just in.

heres some chip counts and info

hero (2100)
villan (11000) only played about 12 hands at this table with him, so i dont really know much. he doesnt seem like a chip bully, hes been in like 2 hands, one where he showed down KK.
average chip count is like 4200
blinds are at 80/160 about an hour and 20 mins in

folded to me in MP and i raise it to 500 with AhKh
villan in CO reraises to 1750

is it possible to get away from this? i only like to play AK in a heads up all in situation when i have them covered by quite a lot (i especially dont like to put my whole tournament on whats probably at best a coin flip.) i know if i call im not a favorite but have a chance to double up if i hit. if i fold it leaves me with 1600. anyways...just want to know what other people would do here.

and ya...i called and lost to his KK.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:33 AM

Default Re: AK question

[ QUOTE ]

is it possible to get away from this? i only like to play AK in a heads up all in situation when i have them covered by quite a lot (i especially dont like to put my whole tournament on whats probably at best a coin flip.) i know if i call im not a favorite but have a chance to double up if i hit. if i fold it leaves me with 1600. anyways...just want to know what other people would do here.

and ya...i called and lost to his KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't be asking this question if you won the hand. Push your stack. You're short stacked and it's a good hand. You need to double up to do well in this tournament anyway. Folding would be HUGE mistake.

Don't question good plays due to the results of that ONE hand.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: AK question

I agree. If he's got bullets, you're in trouble but you're about 30% to get your ace and crack his KK.
In that position though, I might have put it all in with an open raise pre-flop. It wouldn't have mattered a damn in this case but the chances you're facing AA or KK are very slim. With slick in a tournie, I'm not really looking for a call, especially if I'm short-stacked and it's hard to envisage a flop that doesn't leave you put-committed.
I'm happy just to steal the blinds and demonstrate that I'm putting all my chips in with premium hands. Probably not great play but I personally find it very difficult to escape a hand where I've put 25% of my chips in and missed the flop with AK and am going to first to act on the flop against a bigger stack. If you check, you're getting raised, if you raise, you're probably getting called. The way I see it, if you see a flop with AK and a short-stack and a load of what were your chips in the middle, you're almost certainly going down to the green, so you may as well stick it in first as last.