Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 06:40 PM

Default How Bad is My Play?

All of my mid limit poker is live. Numerous local games in the area in which I live, so there is no need to play on-line anymore. We play 10/20 and 15/30. Two orbits of Hold Em and 1 orbit of Omaha High.
We have a wide range of players, with the majority being not nearly as aggressive as you will find on line. Over 1/2 of them, however, limp in with weak hands in the wrong position and call 2 bets cold too often and find it a sin not to defend their big blind if it's only 1 bet.

So, bicyclekick posted a hand a few days ago and I would like to recreate the scenario as I would play it in a live game and see what you all have to say about my play.

The first 3 players fold and I open/raise with Kh,Jd.

Normally, I won't play this hand with 7 players left to act (we play with 11 players) but I do mix things up from time to time.
The next player is one who loves to gamble and if I open raise, he knows my cards are in the playing zone and if he has 76o, he is going to call, because if the flop hits him, he knows it didn't hit me. He calls.
Everyone folds to the Big Blind who sees 5:1 odds (the blind will be the rake, this is 10/20) and 3 pot see the flop with $60 in the pot.

Flop: Jc 7d 4d

The big blind checks. Now if this flop hit him, and I have two overcards, he can count on me betting the flop the majority of the time. I will only ck in this type situation once or twice a night.
This could be a good time to do so, as with 2 cards not in the playing zone, the player on my left may just bet and I could get a ck/raise, but with the Q&A (6outs) to my opponents, who may very well have "playing zone" cards, I probably wouldn't unless I have a read on the next player that guarantees a bet.
So I bet and the next player raises and the big blind folds.

Now, the raiser could have anything from a draw on up and I am going to re-raise him right here and if he caps it I'll call and bet out on the turn no matter what hits.

Comments please.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: How Bad is My Play?

Your play is definitely in the "playing zone"
Old 09-19-2005, 06:56 PM

Your play seems fine.

If you put him on a draw, are you still betting if the 8d comes on the turn?
Old 09-19-2005, 07:16 PM

Ahhhh! A card that will let me ck/call to see if I get a flush and call the river. The T,5&6 of diamonds the same thing, as he could have so many hands that have me beat, that I have outs to.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:28 PM

Looks fine.