Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Proper chili. Beans? No Beans?
Beans 52 71.23%
No Beans 20 27.40%
Turkey Chili! 1 1.37%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Etiquette of letting someone in

Alright, so you're in a bumper-to-bumper, merging lanes, traffic jam type situation. Maybe you're on the highway and there's an accident or road construction or you live in Southern California, maybe you're leaving a sporting event or concert. Someone lets you into their lane and you're now in the lane that's moving. You come to a point where another guy wants in and you could let him in. What's the play, assuming you're motivated by more than selfishness and aren't going to just not let the guy in because you want to get through asap?

Do you:
a) Let the guy in? Someone was nice enough to let you in and it's your turn to return the favor for someone else who's in your same position.

or

b) Don't let the guy in. The guy behind you just let you in and now you're going to go on letting everyone in ahead of you? He did you a favor and now you're [censored] him over?
Old 05-29-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Etiquette of letting someone in

Depends on the driver, car and my mood. SUVs never get in.

Overall I'd say I let the guy in about 40% of the time. Limited to one or maybe two cars though.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SUVs never get in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you let Caddys in?
Old 05-29-2005, 02:16 AM

Yes, it's not a matter of how expensive a car is- just a matter of how obnoxious it is.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:17 AM

SUVs also have a lower chance of getting in ahead of me than the average car.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it's not a matter of how expensive a car is- just a matter of how obnoxious it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't understand why people own SUVs. My problem is not with the poor fuel economy(I drive a car with poor fuel economy), but with the fact that it really sucks parking between two of those monsters. It makes it really hard to pull out of a spot safely. And it's impossible to see over them in traffic. I also sometimes see just one person in them. That is ridiculous.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't understand why people own SUVs. My problem is not with the poor fuel economy(I drive a car with poor fuel economy), but with the fact that it really sucks parking between two of those monsters. It makes it really hard to pull out of a spot safely. And it's impossible to see over them in traffic. I also sometimes see just one person in them. That is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]
But you can see so much better because you sit high up in the air!
Old 05-29-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These don't seem to be problems with owning a SUV but with not owning one. I won't be losing any sleep over your obstructed view.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:02 AM

Also, I missed a poll question, but didn't want to go back and do it over again. If you let the guy in, do you only let him in, or do you let more in? Is it one every once in a while, or is it pretty much everyone?
Old 05-29-2005, 02:06 AM

I will let one in, and one only. The exception is if it's one those deals where a lane is ending that has been advertised well in advance and some yahoo decides he is too cool for school and drives all the way to where the lane ends instead of getting over earlier like everyone else. I will get in an accident before he/she gets in.