Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 02:17 PM

Default way too much action?

This is a onlien 15/30 5 handed game.

I raise utg with Js Ts. Very loose passive mp calls, and both blinds call.

Flop is AT4, with 1 spade. Checked to me, I bet, folded to the sb who raises, bb folds, I 3 bet, sb calls.

Turn is the 5s. sb leads out again (he recently saw me 3 bet the flop with a draw).

What is the better option: Raising the turn, checking behind the river unimproved, or calling the turn, and folding the river unimproved?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Re: way too much action?

call turn.

decide on river...if he bets again you fold.

-Barron
Old 07-20-2005, 02:20 PM

how bout not 3 betting the flop. It's not like a super bad play but not a good one.

Call the turn and fold unnimproved on the river.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:22 PM

I like the 2nd option, although I might be tempted to call the river unimproved, depending on my read. Raising the turn does not get him to fold any hand that beats you, and he might fold one that you beat.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:42 PM

I like the flop 3-bet. You've got 5 2-pair outs, plus a runner-runner flush draw and a (very small I think) chance that you're ahead. Do it for the free card.
Just call the turn. As for the river.. fold unimproved unless he's a maniac.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:55 PM

Given the OP's read. How often is free card play going to work after a flop check raise? It would definately suck to have this flop capped off. I agree with BK. I like the flop call and folding the river unimproved.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:59 PM

Actually, i was quite surprised by his donkbet, I think I get a free card most of the time against this opponent.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the flop 3-bet. You've got 5 2-pair outs, plus a runner-runner flush draw and a (very small I think) chance that you're ahead. Do it for the free card.
Just call the turn. As for the river.. fold unimproved unless he's a maniac.

[/ QUOTE ]

go through your PT database and position stats if this is how you routinely play.

i wouldnt be surprised to see a lot of red there.
not to be harsh, but from the few opsts from you ive seen lately id tighten up, both in steals and flop play given te action

-Barron
Old 07-20-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given the OP's read. How often is free card play going to work after a flop check raise? It would definately suck to have this flop capped off. I agree with BK. I like the flop call and folding the river unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

What read? I didn't see anything about SB. I would expect to get a free card here often enough to make it worthwhile.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:20 PM

Against anything other than AJ and AT (and the notorious flopped set), you have tons of outs from the turn, and generally I'd say you were lucky enough to peel a spade. The real question, though, is how your action on the turn will influence his river play. If you raise now, will you earn more bets on the river as opposed to calling? If you just call now, will he bet the river for you when you hit, or just check/fold. If you are lucky enough to be playing your full 15 outs here, you are about even money to improve vs. his A, and the pot is giving you much better than that to raise. Judging by his checkraise on the flop and lead on the turn, I would say your lone T is NOT good enough to show down on its own. i.e. you must hit to win. Against a set (plausible), you have at best 9 outs.

Moral:
If you think you have all 15 outs live, then raise and collect an extra bet on the river when you hit, or fold the river when you miss (this will make you a winner in the long run, because of pot odds).
If you put him on AJ, AT, A4, A5, TT, 44, 55, or AA, then call here and fold the river when you miss your flush.

...this is my first post here, comments please...