Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Here\'s one to ponder....

I was playing some online .50/$1 limit holdem the other day. And I noticed something that brought up an interesting question in my mind. This was the situation....

Please note that I was not involved in this hand, I folded preflop. Ok, UTG raises and a player near the middle of the table reraises. The player in the cutoff spot calls, and UTG caps the bet... Both remaining players call it. Basically the hand played out with a lot of betting and raising on every round. The board was AKK5J. UTG won the hand with AA. I didn't see what the player in the middle position had, but the player in the cutoff spot turned up 92 offsuit. That's right, he called three bets cold with 92 offsuit and continued calling all the way to the river. Keep in mind also that he never raised, he just kept calling. There is no possible way he could have thought he would win the hand.

For some reason this really caught my attention and I starting watching every hand he played. The next five hands he did pretty much the same thing... Just call everything to the river and show some REALLY bad cards. I was convinced that he simply hates money and was giving it away.

Then something happened that totally stunned me... He folded a hand preflop. Actually, he folded the next three hands preflop. I couldn't help but wonder what the hell could he possibly have that is bad enough to fold? There's no way he was getting anything worse than the cards he showed in the previous hands. Then comes the really funny part... He types "This site is so f%$#ing rigged!" and he leaves the table.

I only posted this because I thought some of you might find it interesting. Any ideas what this guy could have been thinking?
Old 11-11-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Here\'s one to ponder....

maybe he was just donking it up with some bonus money, and when he ran out decided to play a bit more seriously? weird.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:01 AM

I think I played with this guy the other night. He beat my KK with 58o, then my AA with 56o.

Evidently he finally started losing. Just my luck.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:07 AM

i watch my dad play .50/1.00 holdem, and it's insane. i mean, all i can figure out is that there are people who dont have a clue how to play poker and they just call and raise and close their eyes and cross their fingers.......

Tex
Old 11-12-2005, 10:06 AM

He probably called because he thought the pot would be huge and he would love to win a big pot. Then he loses a lot of chips really fast. All of a sudden "oh no what's happening, I'm losing" phase sets in and he tightens up. His hand was probably the same garbage as before or better, but now he is experiencing the pain of losing and has self doubt so he folds. I think after this phase what happens is he changes to the strategy of trying to win a big pot so he can win it back because he's due. Now he'll wait for an above average hand and probably bet it to the turn, unfortuntely he will not fold here even if obviously beat because he wants to get unstuck so bad. After he loses again now he finally hits the last phase "Well i've lost so much it really doesn't matter anymore". This phase is the closest people get to knowingly giving other people money. They are basically dying to get all their chips in the middle so they can lose it all and complain how bad their luck is.

This is just my guess. I really can't understand degenerate players, but this is as close as I've come to being able to reason their actions.