Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Call a raise with AA

$2/$4 NL

A guy open raises in MP to $28. Im next with AA and just call to try and trap. The guy behind me calls also though.
Thats a large raise in this game.

The pot is $92. The flop comes Q83 rainbow. Preflop raiser bet $32. Would you consider just calling or would you raise him every time here? Im assuming its a must raise because of the other player behind you?

I looks to me like he has AK or JJ because of the small flop bet , but of course he could have QQ too.

We all started the hand with ~$400
Old 02-05-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Call a raise with AA

The 32$ looks like a weak lead. The problem with a weak lead is that you can't tell (like you said) whether he's missed the flop or he has a set. I think that you shouldn't just call here, but you should'vle re=raised pre-flop. It's important to re-raise pre-flop so you don't lose a bigger pot when you are up against a set.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:54 PM

I almost always reraise with AA preflop. I have a friend who is a really good NL player and he likes to cold call and trap now and then with AA and KK so Ive been trying it in select spots.

Since he open raised to 7BBs , I thought this was a good spot to try it. When the guy behind me called, I really wished I had reraised which is why I hate trying to trap like this.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:57 PM

The problem with this idea is that there are a lot of scary flops. Any J, Q, K, montone T-J-Q type of flop is going to hurt you. I like calling raises with small PP's and SC's to try and stack guys when I hit the flop hard. I also like getting a lot of money in pre-flop with aces.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:12 PM

I would call here and see what develops. I think that is the only play.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:12 PM

you really really really need to reraised w AA there.

28 is a huge pf raise and usually indicates a not-so-good player who has 1010-QQ. reraise here and they will call or maybe even get all in.

mr 28 wants to play a big pot pf before scare cards come on the flop, so you should happily oblige.

plus you hate getting callers behind you with hands that are most likely PP's waiting to crack a big pair.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:24 PM

I completely agree that I shouldve reraised preflop. Like I said, I always do until being talked into trying to trap now and then.

Are you against flat calling EVER? If you do flat call sometimes, when do you do it?
Old 02-05-2005, 08:26 PM

When you hit it, and the initial raiser from pf bets out, you smooth call to try and let anyone else into the pot. Then you bet/raise the turn. That's usually the line I'll take. I love giving one free card on a pretty drawless board, but hate giving two.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:28 PM

OK, lapoker17

Thats exactly what I did. I called as did the guy behind me. I really hate this hand now.

The pot is like $190 now . The turn is a 7 (Q83). He bets $100. What do you do now?
It looks to me like hes got KK or QQ now
Old 02-05-2005, 08:29 PM

I flat call with AA/KK a lot.

The times when I do it are:

The PF raiser is a rock - meaning that his range of hands is very narrow.

I have position.

I'm fairly sure no one behind me is calling.

Usually I do it in CO or on the Button. Although, if you read my Running Good post, you will see that when alcohol is involved I have little regard for these standards.