Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Foxwoods 10-20 vs. 20-40

Hey,

I've been playing 10-20 at Foxwoods for a while and winning fairly consistently. I am wondering how much tougher the 20-40 game vs. the 10-20. I have the bankroll to play 20-40, but do not want to play with guys who are ALL better than I am (i.e. a good 10-20 player). Any suggestions???

Thanks
Old 09-18-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods 10-20 vs. 20-40

If you have the bankroll you should be playing the $20/40, and it's not even close.

I've found the 20 game to be no tougher than the 10 game. There will be a few more really good players, because it's generally the biggest game going, but there are at least as many fish. Basically, since it IS the biggest game in the room, it attracts players with a lot of money who aren't very good, but simply want to play the biggest game in the room. You get more action and fewer rocky players, in my experience.

Even so, any slight increase in play quality is definitely not enough to overcome the doubled bet size, so your overall monetary EV will most likely be better (even if it goes down slightly in terms of BB/hr).
Old 09-18-2005, 08:38 PM

It depends on how well you play. The 20/40 game is not "tough" and you'll quickly learn who knows what they are doing and (there are several decent to very good players in the game) and who the gamboolers are. Having said that it, if you're not crushing the 10 game then you're not ready for it as the 10 game is really soft.

[ QUOTE ]
I've found the 20 game to be no tougher than the 10 game.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not even close to being true.

On my way up, I played in the 10 game regularly for 9 months or so until I felt ready to tackle it. But buy 2 racks and take a shot at it.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:28 PM

whats your bankroll and how long is "awhile"?
Old 09-19-2005, 02:34 AM

If you've played the 10 game for a decent amount my guess is you'll find -

There are some 20 players who only play the 20 and are really good.

There are some you've played with before and either suck, are really good or are like you.

There are some who really suck and you wonder how the f do they stay in that game.

Like Barry said, buy 2 racks and sit and play. Just make sure to play your regular game.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are some who really suck and you wonder how the f do they stay in that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really easy. There are a few regulars, that really suck; I even think that they know they suck. They have lots of money and view playing poker as entertainment. Two guys in particular own decent size businesses and dropping 2K in a weekend is no big deal. Both of them happen also to be nice guys and we are always chatting it up. My concession is that I don't c/r them heads up. That would be a -EV play.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That would be a -EV play.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the MANY ways live is different from online play...

And I will agree 100% that the 20 game is tougher than the 10 game. I think the competition is much closer between the $5-$10 and $10-$20 than it is between the $10-$20 and $20-$40.

A lot also depends on when you play and who is sitting there and why -- something I am always fluctuating on as I play all sorts of different hours on all sorts of different days, unlike those that play certain days and times and know that specific crowd the best.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 09-19-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot also depends on when you play and who is sitting there and why -- something I am always fluctuating on as I play all sorts of different hours on all sorts of different days, unlike those that play certain days and times and know that specific crowd the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never have figured out who you are or even if we have ever played together, but over the past few years, I've played at all of the different times know all of the regulars, semi-regulars and occasional players.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:52 PM

Here's my take, all B&M's that I have played at (several)
3-6 , 4-8 The players suck, while that can be good if there are only a few that suck playing at a table where they all suck is bad for a good player IMO (advanced skills are useless) and you can't beat the rake

6-12, 10-20 Probably the best range for a good player if you just like winning but don't care how much. Players are marginally better, if you are good than you are probably better than the regular player who thinks he is good at this level ( I drop to this level when I am running bad at the higher limits and just want to beat up on inferior players to get some wins) but expected $ per hour is less. The game is generally more passive IMO and the LAG's for the most part are Donkey LAGs ie aggro without any skill

15-30, 20-40 The staple game for the semi-pros, more PF raising, fewer multi-ways, more disception, more strategy, more discipline, gotta be good to survive and maintain winning percentages (wanna find out if you're good? just track and you will find out in a hurry,lol) and yes as a whole the players are much better but still plenty of fish swimming around to keep us happy.

30-60 and above,,,,hold on to your seat,,lol

can you tell what game I like?

Good Luck

Jeff
Old 09-19-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never have figured out who you are or even if we have ever played together, but over the past few years, I've played at all of the different times know all of the regulars, semi-regulars and occasional players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Up until six months ago, I was there 4-5 times a week. After I had my gall bladder removed, I picked up on online play and am only at Foxwoods 1-2 times a week.

I'm sure we've played together. You're the one that made fun of my mother, I believe.

Or that could be someone else.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com