Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2004, 07:14 PM

Location: Pittsburgh Pa (North Suburb called Cranberry Township)
Default medium flush in bb against preflop button raiser, 4th comes...

Background: SB is very aggressive, I saw the play as an isolation attempt against the lone limper. I know that 98s isn't exactly a wonderful shorthanded hand (is calling this out of the bb an incorrect play with only 1 other limper (6-1 assuming limper calls)?)

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB raises, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB bets, Hero raises, MP1 folds, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB bets, Hero raises, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9 BB, between SB and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (9 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB shows Jc Tc (one pair, tens).
Hero shows 9d 8d (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins 9 BB. </font>

This is one hand, but is this an autobet after he checks? what about if he were acting behind me. In retrospect, I don't know if he would have called it, but he did bet out the turn thinking that I was only on a draw. When I raised it, I made it pretty clear. KQJ out there.

Help for the future would be great.
Thanks,
Kevin
Old 06-28-2004, 04:52 AM

Default Re: medium flush in bb against preflop button raiser, 4th comes...

I think the PF call is a borderline one that is neither significantly +EV nor -EV because of this hand being short handed. Most suited connectors are an easy call at the BB behind a PFR in multiway pots.

The river bet is a hard one to make but I think you have to because SB betted like he had a made hand and not drawing to the fourth diamond. On the turn his bet into you after you raised him at the flop shows that he doesn't want to give or get a free card.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:56 AM

Default Re: medium flush in bb against preflop button raiser, 4th comes...

IMHO in this situation the river-bet cant really be EV+.

With the 4-flush on the board and you have raised twice showing no fear of the flush, betting at the end would mean you either on a stonecold bluff or that you for sure have the flush.

The ace ofcourse makes it more tempting SB to call if he has an ace, if no ace in SB I doubt you would ever get a call with less than SB holds a face-card in the flush or possibly a pocketpair of tens or above.