Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 12:40 PM

Default New evidence linking Saddam to WMD and al-Qaeda

News story
Old 10-05-2004, 12:51 PM

Default Re: New evidence linking Saddam to WMD and al-Qaeda

The news source is very right wing biased. Read up on the Prez of the service. He was on Fox claiming that everything the swiftboat biatches said was true. Its parent corporation is a right-wing media watch dog.

Also it states that the memos are unverifiable.

"Bush administration likely unaware of documents' existence

The senior government official and source of the Iraqi intelligence memos, explained that the reason the documents have not been made public before now is that the government has "thousands and thousands of documents waiting to be translated. "

I find it hard to believe that if something like this came up, the Administration wouldn't be notified.

Also Colin Powell admits it was a mistake to claim that thier were WMDs in Iraq

Melch
Old 10-05-2004, 12:59 PM

“[Saddam] has not developed any significant capability with respect to weapons of mass destruction. He is unable to project conventional power against his neighbors.”-- Sec. of State Colin Powell, 2/4/01

“… let's remember that [Saddam’s] country is divided, in effect. He does not control the northern part of his country. We are able to keep arms from him. His military forces have not been rebuilt.”-- National Security Advisor, Condoleezza Rice, on CNN Late Edition With Wolf Blitzer, 7/29/01
Old 10-05-2004, 01:11 PM

Well did you bother to read the article? It was translated by two seperate individuals and then vetted by several experts, including a former Clinton advisor. It seems to me that the news service was very careful to neutralize any appearance of bias by going this route. I really like how you went right to attacking the source. Nice job.

And actually Rumsfeld has already made a statement about these documents.

EDIT:

Here is a link detailing the methodology used to vet the documents.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:19 PM

source = "cybercast news service" formerly "conservative news service", the mouthpiece of the Media Research Center (far right of center)
Old 10-05-2004, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
source = "cybercast news service" formerly "conservative news service", the mouthpiece of the Media Research Center (far right of center)

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post = "I didnt bother to critically read the article but instead immediately fall back on attacking the source"
Old 10-05-2004, 01:27 PM

from the article:

Bush administration likely unaware of documents' existence

The senior government official and source of the Iraqi intelligence memos, explained that the reason the documents have not been made public before now is that the government has "thousands and thousands of documents waiting to be translated.

"It is unlikely they even know this exists," the source added.

The government official also explained that the motivation for leaking the documents, "is strictly national security and helping with the war on terrorism by focusing this country's attention on facts and away from political posturing.

"This is too important to let it get caught up in the political process," the source told CNSNews.com.

I am sorry but this is completely laughable to me. The Bush Admin doesn't know about these docs, but this news company does? Bullshit. That right there makes me question their authinticity(sp).
Old 10-05-2004, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am sorry but this is completely laughable to me. The Bush Admin doesn't know about these docs, but this news company does? Bullshit. That right there makes me question their authinticity(sp).

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering that this is breaking news, I can see how it is possible. It's not uncommon for amateur detectives and reporters to uncover things the government can't seem to find. That's why we have "America's most wanted". After all the CBS memogate was uncovered by some guy posting on internet forums. And that one girls body that was found in the landfill was found by an amateur.

But you're right, I too am skeptical. I would think they would immediately tell the Bush administration, or atleast the CIA. However, they have pics of the documents, so my interest is peaked. Only time will tell. We will see if drudge, Fox News, RCP, or Rueters pick the story up. I would e-mail the story to one of them. I wonder if it might take a while in fear of a FNC memogate.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:44 PM

these documents were apparently confiscated by U.S. soldiers in Iraq, so I would assume someone of importance has looked at the docs and must have decided they weren't credible. Unless confiscated docs routinely end up in the hands of journalists before they reach the hands of the CIA.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:47 PM

So you beleive anything you read on the internet and never consider the source?
When this hits the mainstream newswires that don't have an agenda that fits the story, then it will be worth evaluating. Until then, I'll file it under propaganda.