Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Pocket JJ and JQs in late position

During two recent hands I played at a 1/2 limit hold'em table I found myself in one hand with pocket jacks, and in another with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. What makes these hands interesting is that both hands had me on the button with four callers in front and then a raise directly to my right. The raiser is the "loose/weak" type. Plays to many hands and chases them all the way to the end. However, the other players could very easily be calling with KQ or AJ unsuited. Their play is a little better then the raiser. However, in both situations I cold call rather then raise or fold. Skalanksy, Malmuth, and Jones have taught me that it is better to raise or fold. I should almost never cold call. I agree with them, that my play was improper. I should have reraised in an attempt to isolate my raiser. Then once the flop and the action comes determine if I am beat. Is that correct? Anyone care to comment?
Old 07-05-2005, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Pocket JJ and JQs in late position

[ QUOTE ]
Skalanksy, Malmuth, and Jones have taught me that it is better to raise or fold. I should almost never cold call.

[/ QUOTE ]

this advice refers to situations where the raiser is the only one in the pot. in the situation you describe its correct to coldcall with many hands. however your jj is strong enough to reraise for value. with the QJs i would call the raise. (reraising might be correct sometimes at higher limits in a game where theres a good chance of folding out some or all of the limpers.)