Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2005, 08:41 PM

Default my new PC

so I took my $500 BR and the $500 I won in Vegas last week and bought me the pieces for a new PC

--------------

went from a P3/600 to a AMD Thunderbird 1200 for about 6 mos. (which died all the time and was crap) - it had been a server I built but was useless -

and today I'm on my current P4 3.00 GHZ chip running on a Asus P52AD-Premium board - top of the line, supports RAID, Wireless LAN, and has onboard sound/networking, so only card I had to install was a video card, which was....uses the 775 chipset, so it's cooler.

My new video card = MSI NX6600 - a bit of a downer card, but I needed PCI express - it's better then what I had. And when I upgrade to an LCD monitor it's got the DVI inputs already -

1024 MB RAM in two 512 DRAMS running Dual Channel - One NEC DVD-RW/CD-RW/CD-R burner - gotta get some stuff to use that - enclosed software is a jopke -

- I have USB ports in front so now my USB FOB can be plugged in easy as opposed to behind the stupid box - I also have audio inputs on the front of it.

XP Professional with Service Pack 2/Zonealarm/Ad-Aware/Spybot - (that'll keep those sons of bitches out of my machine) -

Firefox/Thunderbird surfing/mail suite - trying to wean myself off the issues MS products have - also using Openoffice 1.4 instead of downloading my old copy of Office - If I need it, I have a laptop with Word/Excel/Outlook on them.

Jet black/silver case with a modified power supply I had to install to handle the board - floppy drive hides under a fold out panel - da box is sexy [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My one issue right now, couldn't transfer Mails/addresses from Outlook to Thunderbird, but at this point, I know most of those folks, and if I have to, I know I can get outlook, install it, and copy the PST files over - no big deal - just not doing it right now...

and a new used keyboard - one I salvaged - sits up higher, and less sticky/dirty with food/whiskey vomit then the last one..

Oh yah....whiskey likey....

ah yes, and to all the AMD zealots who are gonna bash my CPU - [censored] off

seriously though - I've had two AMD boxes in my day, including this last Thunderbird that couldn't upgrade to XP - before that was a K62-350 that had a terrible lockup problem that took me two days to fix - with Intel, I've never had a problem, and I don't feel like having to tear this thing apart and surf newsgroups every time it has an issue - know what I mean?--

RB